One of our favourite things to do on a Rainy Day is playdough. Now I am a bit fussy and hate to see the colours mixed! Well, that was until we started making our own using this really easy playdough recipe that is no-cook too! With just 4 ingredients it is simple to make and you really don’t mind the kids mixing it up. So here goes out ever so easy No-Cook Homemade Playdough Recipe.
This recipe is a no-cook recipe, it doesn’t have any preservatives in it so it’s not going to last a huge length of time. However, it’s perfect for making up on a rainy day and using then and there.
If you are looking for a salt-free playdough recipe then check out our 2-ingredient apple scented playdough (you can make it with whatever you have available!)
Recipe for Homemade Playdough
I’ve found that the best way to make this is to do it in the stand mixer! That way you can leave the dough hook kneading it until it’s well combined it also reduces the kneading time considerably doing it that way. If not you are looking at kneading for 10 minutes to get a smooth dough.
Once made if the kids don’t take it straight away then I like to put it into a ziplock bag and into the fridge for a little bit to chill.
Ingredients for homemade Playdough
- 4 cups Plain Flour All-purpose flour in the USA
- 1/3 cup Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- Food colouring gel (optional)
If you would like the ingredients in grammes or oz then check out the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Playdough at home
Homemade Playdough – No Cook Recipe
- Stand Mixer
- Mix together the flour and salt in the stand mixer bowl. Add the water and oil.
- Using the dough hook knead well until mixture is smooth. You might need to add a bit more flour or water until the consistency is smooth but not sticky.
- Separate out the dough into parts and add some food colouring gel for vibrant colours.
- Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until chilled enough to use.
More Playdough Recipes for Kids
Make some No-Salt Playdough and you can scent it however you want. Ours was scented with apples perfect for some early learning fun.
In Autumn why not make some scented playdough with our Autumn Playdough Recipe.
If your little ones put everything in their mouth then why not make some edible playdough it is taste safe and great to play with too!