Salt dough is by far my favourite quick and easy homemade clay to use with the kids. I always have the ingredients to hand and can mix up a batch really quickly. I love using this classic salt dough recipe from my own childhood which my mum used to mix up and was given to her by my godmother who used to use it in her classroom back in the 1950’s
This traditional salt dough recipe was originally written in oz but I have converted it to grams (you can find the oz version at the end) as that is what my scales use. It does air dry but will take between 24 hours and a week depending on what your child decides to make, the humidity and the air temperature. With larger models, we tend to air dry but I have used the oven-dry method as well.
Ingredients for the Classic Salt Dough Recipe
500 g plain flour – self raising flour will make the salt dough bubble as it dries especially in the oven.
250 g table salt – any fine cooking salt will work
125 ml warm water
These measurements make around 24 ornaments of a medium cookie cutter size.
The recipe below can be converted to cups in the recipe card below.
How to make Salt dough with Kids
- Mix together the flour and the salt in large bowl
- Add the warm water slowly mixing together at the same time
- When combined turn out onto a lightly floured surface
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic
- This dough can be stored for a couple of weeks in an air tight container or ziplock bag with the air expelled
- Once your ornament is made either leave to air dry or
- Place in the oven at 150C for around 1hr and check it may need longer
Once you have your salt dough made, why not use it to create some beautiful salt dough stained glass stars.
Is your Salt Dough Puffing up? Want to know how you can store salt dough or whether it will air dry we have all of these questions answered on our Salt Dough Questions Answered article.
Salt Dough Recipe for Ornaments and Decorations
- Large bowl
- Baking Tray
- Rolling Pin
- Mix the salt and flour together
- Gradually add the warm water as you mix it together by hand
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface
- Knead for 5 to 10 minutes until smooth
- Shape and mold as you wish
- Air dry OR bake in the oven for 1 hour+ at 300F (150C) until dry
More Salt Dough Recipes you may like
Check out these variations on this recipe to make with kids