One of our favourite materials for play is playdough. We love our easy homemade playdough recipes but some of them can be boring! So, we’ve got this amazing Jell-o Playdough Recipe that you can make at home and it looks great, smells amazing and it also lasts.
Homemade Jell-o Playdough
Because we wanted a playdough recipe that lasts we have used cream of tartar in this recipe.
The cream of tartar acts like a preservative and makes the playdough soft when stored in a pot for longer.
As my children wanted a multitude of different colours of playdough we produced amazing rainbow of colours with different packets of Jello.
Coloured and Scented Jelo Playdough Recipes
With boxes of different flavours of Jell-o we were able to make
- Red Cherry Scented Playdough
- Orange-Scented Playdough
- Yellow Lemon Scented Playdough
- Green Lime Playdough
- Bright Blue Blueberry Playdough
- Vibrant Violet Grape Playdough
With no need for food colourings you have coloured and gorgeous scented playdough as well.
The gelatin in the Jell-o also makes this is a little more similar to store-bought playdough than other homemade recipes.
You can of course use which ever flavour jello you have to hand to make this play dough at home.
If you love how this Jell-o playdough smells and looks then you’re going to love our homemade Kool-Aid Playdough too!
More Playdough Recipes to Try
Playdough as we said is one of our favourite materials to play with. And we have 2 other recipes that you really should try as well as our no-cook playdough one (linked at the top)
A simple recipe for edible playdough that really is edible. This is not just taste safe your kids can actually eat the playdough as they play.
Really quick and easy 2 ingredient apple scented playdough perfect for some autumn play activities and counting games.
Using our homemade playdough recipe you can make amazing chocolate playdough at home. It smells like chocolate, looks like chocolate but won’t melt in your child’s hands.
How to Make Homemade Jello Playdough Recipe
- Small Saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Add the water, flour, salt, cream of tartar, vegetable oil, and Jello to a small sauce pan. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly. When dough begins to form, remove from heat.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Allow to cool slightly, then knead the dough until smooth.
- Allow to cool completely before playing.
More Easy Recipes for Play and Crafts
- Homemade Bubble Mix for simple play at home.
- Easy sidewalk chalk paint recipe to get creative outside
- Homemade 2 ingredient no heat needed puffy paint recipe
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.