These delicious and easy Space themed Snacks inspired by the book Tanner Turbeyfill and the Moon Rocks are ideal to cook with kids. Check out this simple recipe for Moon Rocks that you and the kids will enjoy making and then eating.
Featured Book – Tanner Turbeyfill and the Moon Rocks
We have included links to the books and products we used to create this Moon Rock Recipe. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
This book is about a rather imaginative son of an astronaut who ends up taking a surprise trip to the moon to find some precious moon rocks to add to his prized rock collection.
My children adored this story. My six-year-old son has recently begun to hunt around our yard and other places to find what he calls “special gems” which are really rocks that he thinks look interesting.
His interest was piqued even more after this book and he’s now begun to see if he too can discover one of these rare stones from the moon.
To go along with the story, we decided to make edible moon rocks. What child doesn’t love a craft that they can eat?? To do this, you will be using a chocolate clay as the base. This is a quick and simple activity that your children will love to make and devour!
Making Edible Moon Rocks with Kids
Edible Moon Rocks to Cook with Kids
- 1 bag dark chocolate chips
- 1 bottle Shimmer Silver Spray for Cakes
- 1/3 cup honey
- In a large glass bowl, pour all of the chocolate chips.
- Microwave on high for one minute.
- The chips will have melted slightly. Stir them and put them back into the microwave for one more minute.
- Remove them and stir until any remaining chunks are incorporated well.
- Pour in the honey and stir some more.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet.
- Dump the chocolate/honey mixture on to it and spread it out until it's about ½ inch thick.
- Shake out some sprinkles to cover the surface.
- Let sit for at least four hours or overnight.
- The mixture will solidify, but will also be pliable. When enough time has passed, knead the clay a bit, adding more sprinkles until it is sufficiently sparkling.
- Break off small pieces of the clay and shape them into rocks.
- Pour a little more sprinkles out on your wax paper and roll your rocks gently through them to give them a good shining coating.
- Enjoy your edible moon rocks.
More Space Themed Snacks to Cook with Kids
Make some delicious Space Rock Buns with the Kids
More Moon Themed Activities for Kids
Investigate Rockets with this fun STEM Rocket Space Investigation for Kids
Make your own Bottle Rocket and investigate flight with your kids