One of our favourite themes to do with kids of all ages is out of this world.
Adapted from our classic rock bun recipe. These space rock cakes are one of the first recipes we cooked with our 2-year-old.
They are so easy to make and taste delicious.
So here you go our out of this world Space Rock Bun Recipe for Kids!
This recipe has been tried and tested a number of times by our readers and followers. It's one of the favourites that people come back and cook time and time again.
If you are just getting started cooking with your toddlers then read our top tips to make things a little easier.
For more space themed snacks why not make some Moon Rocks as well.
Space Rock Buns Recipe for Cooking with Kids
Ingredients for Space Rock Cakes
We have provided affiliate links to the products and ingredients to make replicating this recipe easier. If you purchase through this links we may earn a small commission
Makes 6 large rock cakes or 12 smaller
You will find all the measurements on the printable recipe card below.
unsalted butter at room temperature - you can use margarine but the butter produces a richer flavour
plain flour (all purpose flour)
raisinsor cherries any dried fruit will work really.
Edible Glitter (our space dust)
How to make Space Rock Cakes with Toddlers and Older Kids
To make the cooking of these run smoother with toddlers and younger preschoolers I like to weigh out and measure the ingredients first.
With older kids, I ask them to help measure and weigh out the ingredients with me or independently depending on their age.
To prevent the buns for sticking we use a silicon-coated baking paper but parchment or greaseproof paper would work just as well.
When mixing the butter and flour - you want to create a crumb consistency.
Children always love the next bit break the egg and whisk the milk and egg together to add to the mixture.
You will be surprised at how even young children will soon become good at cracking eggs with practice. Just expect the first few attempts to fish out the shell.
The rock buns will expand as they cook so place them with space around.
We made 6 large rock cakes and 12 small cakes by doubling the recipe.
Once they were cooked remove and let cool before sprinkling with some edible glitter to turn them into sparkly space rock cakes
Space Rock Cakes for Kids to Make
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Add the flour and baking powder to the margarine
- Crumb the mixture with fingertips
- Add in the brown sugar and raisins and mix
- Beat the egg and pour onto the mixture
- Mix together and add a little milk until you have a consistency similar to cookie dough
- Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Divide the mix into 6 large or 12 small cakes and space out on the baking tray
- Cook for 12 - 20 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool
- Sprinkle with Edible Glitter and Gold and Silver Dust
More Space Themed Fun For Kids
- Make your own Puffy Paint and create a moon with craters using it
- Craft and test your own rocket with this fun STEM Rocket Activity
- Put together a sensory bin and let your child explore and play independently
Why not print and play with our set of FREE Printable Space Counting Cards to help support your toddler and preschooler learn to count.