I shared this over on our Instastories this week and quite a few people have asked for the recipe. So here it is our Simple and Easy Family Chicken Pie. It’s one of my goals this year as a family that we try new food and spend meal times connecting and chatting over it. This was a perfect meal for a quick dinner on a weeknight after a busy day as from start to eating it was a little over 30 minutes but that was more due to the fact of getting everyone to the table on time!
Easy Chicken Pie
Like the chicken pot pies, this recipe calls for ready-rolled puff pastry (flaky pastry) and it’s made in a pot, not a complete pie so it takes a lot less time to cook and is much easier to prepare as I hate to say it but puff pastry is HARD WORK!
With the leftover puff pastry and some mincemeat from Christmas, I made some of our Bite-Sized Mince Pie Stacks for dessert and served them with ice-cream perfect for the kids and us to enjoy on a weeknight.
Back to the chicken pie. I find it easier to chop the ingredients quickly together and get everything prepared so that I can quickly cook it.
If I have time I’ll do it on a morning but if not it’s only 5 minutes to chop up the fresh ingredients and get the pie ready for dinner.
I used frozen peas in it because for some unknown reason I have 3 packets in the freezer. So it was use what I have available type meal. However, you can use any frozen vegetables you want.
When using Cauliflower or Brocolli then put them in and mix it together right before you pour into the pie dish rather than earlier as you would with carrots, peas and beans.
Easy Family Sized Chicken Pie
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
- In a pan heat the butter and oil together until melted.
- Add in your chicken breasts, mushrooms, onions, garlic and stir until they start to colour.
- Add in the flour and mix together well.
- Pour in the chicken stock and stir.
- Season with the herbs and salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add the frozen peas and heat thoroughly for around 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken into a pie dish.
- Cover and bend over with the puff pastry to seal.
- Put a few holes in the centre of the pie to allow the steam to escape.
- Place in the centre of the oven for around 20 minutes until the pastry is golden and puffed up.
- Serve with potatoes and vegetables which can be cooked whilst the pie is cooking.
Truth be told this will never be an “Instaperfect” recipe but with 4 clean plates from the family, it went down really well and worth keeping on hand to make again when we fancy a chicken pie as it was so quick to make.
Try more Easy Chicken Meal Ideas for Families
Chicken Fajitas one of our favourite family meals see how we’ve cooked it in a sheet pan or in our new family Instant Pot both taste delicious and make meal prep for the family easy. Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas and Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
Cooking everything in a tray is simple and this Cuban Inspired Bacon Wrapped Chicken is a favourite. It’s great hot or sliced and served cold as a salad the day after.
Another great flavour is our Bahamian Grilled Chicken Breasts and Thighs these are great with a salad and for summer meals.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.