One of our favourite mid-week meals is Chicken Fajitas both kids will eat it, my husband loves it and apart from Gallo Pinto it is one of the foods that brings back many memories from living in Central America. Our take on it isn’t necessarily authentic but it works for us as a family and it’s SO quick to make. We have tried lots of different ways including Freezer prep methods to make it simple however this one is so easy to do and you can prepare it whenever you want during the day then throw it in the oven and straight to the table to serve. So here it is my easy Sheet Pan Fajitas for mid-week family meals.
Make next – Traditional Costa Rican Gallo Pinto
Top Tips for making this an Easy Make-Ahead Meal
Although this is quick anyhow you can make it even quicker by doing a couple of extra preparations for the week ahead.
- We use a lot of onions and sweet peppers in our cooking so I chop them ahead of time and store in a sealed container in the fridge taking out what I need for the recipe as I go.
- Make your own Fajita Spice – it will taste nicer and you can make it as spicy or mild as you want
- Chop the chicken with scissors instead of a knife – so much quicker and after many an incident much safer on my fingers!
- If you are rushed off your feet at the end of the day then make but don’t cook, cover with foil and then place in the fridge then take out and cook when you are ready to prep
- Tortillas can be thrown into the oven in the last few minutes to warm up as well just wrap in some foil and give then between 2 and 5 minutes to soften and heat up.
Make Ahead Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Red Sweet Pepper
- 1 Yellow Sweet Pepper
- 1 Green Sweet Pepper
- 1 Medium Onion
- Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- Fajita Spice Mix To Taste
- 1 Chilli Pepper
- Handfull Chopped Mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 180C if you are cooking now or around 10 minutes before you cook if preparing ahead.
- Remove the top and insides from the sweet peppers
- Chop into thin slices
- Layer the bottom of the baking pan with the peppers
- Chop up an onion
- Layer the onion over the top of the peppers
- Add any additional ingredients like the chilli pepper or mushrooms now
- Cut the chicken with scissors into thin strips
- Layer on top of the peppers and onions
- Drizzle with Olive Oil over the whole pan
- Sprinkle your Fajita Seasoning on the top
- Mix up all of the ingredients together making sure that everything is covered well.
- If you are preparing ahead cover with foil and place in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 25 - 35 minutes
- Serve straight to the table with Mexican Rice, salas, tortillas, gucamole and sour cream and chives. Plus we like a little extra cheese as well.
Serve this recipe with some homemade Guacamole – so easy that the kids can make it
Pin this Quick and Easy Mid-Week Meal to make later