We love autumn when the leaves start to change colour and then fall. It is the perfect time to introduce some seasonal arts, crafts and activities to your toddlers and preschoolers as well. We've put together some of our favourite autumn leaf activities for you and your tots to enjoy so check them out below.
Fall Leaf Activities and Crafts for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Before we start, make sure that you have some leaves to use. Head out on a nature walk and collect as many different leaves as you can. Save some for the activities below but also try preserving some to use for decorations and more with this guide of 6 different methods for preserving autumn leaves.
Now your ready to go...
Leaf Arts Activities
It's time to get creative and there are so many activities you can try with your leaves.
Finish the leaves with this leaf art activity that combines maths and art to create the finished picture of the leaves using just half of them.
Decorate leaves with silver and gold markers to not only make beautiful decorations but also practice prewriting skills. Check out this leaf art for preschoolers for the downloadable dice as well.
We love these Giant Colorful Watercolor Fall Leaves for Kids from Toddler Approved. Big art is wonderful for toddlers and preschoolers to create and with the size of the leaves your little ones will be able to get really creative.
Have you used a light table with your tots before? This leaf art on the light box from Mama Smiles is a great way to use the leaves you collect and let your toddlers and preschoolers get creative in a mess free way.
Looking for more ideas then check out these leaf crafts that all use real leaves we love the wreath and have created some for the house this year.
Literacy Activities Inspired by Leaves
These letter and word leaf activities are a simple way to including some seasonal learning into your time with the toddler and preschoolers at home.
Before you check out the individual activities why not stock up your book basket with some of our favourite books and stories about leaves for toddlers and preschoolers.
We have added these to our nature table book selection and a couple in the book box in the lounge.
- Learning About Letters with Leaves & Falling Leaves Song from Kori at Home
- Beginning Sounds Activity: Leaf Sticker Tree from Growing Book by Book
- Letter Recognition Game with Free Leaf Printable from JDaniel's4 Mom
- Leaf Name Sticky Wall from Inspiration Laboratories
- Leaf Tracing Pre-Writing Activity from Books and Giggles
- Leaf puppets from Messy Little Monster
- The leaf prewriting activity showcased above would work for improving writing skills as well.
Math Activities with Leaves
Natural materials make great manipulatives for maths. These simple activities are ideal for encouraging your little ones to develop their number sense and if your short of leaves you could always use sticks to do some ordering and sorting too!
- Basic Math with Fall Leaves for Preschoolers from views From a Step Stool
- Exploring Leaf Shapes – Nature Walk Activity from Creative Little Explorers
- Leaf Shapes Fingerprint Activity from Artsy Momma
- Preschool Printable Counting Leaves from The Moments at Home
- Number Leaf Scavenger Hunt from The Educators’ Spin On It
- Follow the leaves: Cardinal Directions and Map Skills for kids from Extremely Good Parenting
Leaf themed Sensory Activities
- Fall Loose Parts Sensory Invitation from My Storytime Corner
- Fall Leaf Auditory Processing Activities from The OT Toolbox
Leaves and Autumn Science Activities for Preschoolers
- Preschool Leaf Science Experiment from Preschool Powol Packets
- Simple Preschool Science: Leaf Matching Activity from School Time Snippets
- Explore why leaves change colour from Science Sparks
More Autumn Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Check out some of these other ideas for toddlers and preschoolers
Have fun in the kitchen with these autumn recipes to cook with toddlers and preschoolers.
Create a beautiful autumn tree with printed leaves.
Learn to count using these acorn and squirrel count and clip cards.