As the leaves start to change colour it’s the perfect time to try some fun leaf activities and crafts with the kids. This is one of our favourites to do each year. Combining maths and art this autumn leaf activity looks at symmetry in nature and is a great way to work on some observation skills with your kids. So dig out some sketch books and head out to collect some leaves on a nature walk and when you return have fun creating Symmetrical Leaf Art with the kids.
Autumn Leaf Activity for Kids
Leaves fascinate kids, especially in fall and autumn. They love to observe the changes in the seasons as they appear, fill the trees, change colour and then fall even little kids can see the changes as they happen in front of them.
This is an activity we started when the kids were preschoolers but have continued to repeat. Looking back at their drawings over the years it’s interesting to see the development of their observation skills as well as their drawing skills.
After a nature walk this is one of the first activities we do.
AUTUMN TODDLER & PRESCHOOL PLAY CHALLENGE
30 Days of FREE ideas for fun this autumn to do with your little ones
Exploring Symmetry with Leaves
Symmetry is where there is a line where the parts on one side are the same on the other side.
Leaves are ideal especially if they have a vein that runs down the centre of the leaf.
With just half a leaf you can explore a maths topic through art that you and your kids will enjoy.
So head out on a autumn work and make a collection of different leaves that you find. Bring home and leave out on a tray or surface so that they can dry out. This makes them much easier to glue into the sketch book.
Materials Needed for your Leaf Art Symmetry Drawings
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
- Dried out Leaves
- Sketchbook or sketch paper - these on Amazon are like the ones we use
- Pencil for drawing - our kids use artist pencils like this set for art projects
- Colouring pencils or paints
Prep Needed Ahead of the Leaf Activity
Quickly before you start you may want to cut the leaves in half and stick them into the sketch book especially if you are doing the activity with preschoolers.
Leaf Maths and Art Activity
- If you haven't previously started off by gluing in the leaves into the sketchbook.
- Then talk to your child about symmetry - how they need to fill in the missing part of the leaf by copying what they can see.
- Take the opportunity to add in some teaching of drawing skills - you may want to introduce sketch pencils and different types e.g. 5B for shading and 3H for sketching the outline finely on the paper.
- Once complete you may want to colour - both mine as preschoolers always wanted to but as they have got older they have decided to use sketching and drawing techniques more.
Above is the leaf art created by my 10 year last year and below the same child but from when they were 4.
More Autumn Maths Activities for Kids
More Autumn Arts and Crafts for Kids
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.