This week’s theme for the virtual book club for kids is pumpkins and we’ve had fun reading the featured book is five little pumpkins so it leads perfectly for some number work for toddlers and preschoolers. We’ve had fun with this book and rhyme before creating our own book combining number and literacy but this time, we wanted to get more hands-on and created our own pumpkin patch maths game.
Materials needed for your own DIY Pumpkin Patch Maths Game
Join us this summer and get 4 weeks of fun activities to create and learn straight to your inbox.
Shoe box lid or something similar
Creating your own pumpkin patch Maths Game
- Draw around your box lid onto your piece of cardstock making sure that it is centred and there is an edge all the way around.
- Cut out 10 slots that will be where your pumpkins will be planted within the rectangle you have just drawn.
- Cut from the corner of the cardstock to corner of the box lid outline.
- Fold along your lines.
- Glue the corners together to form a box lid this will form the ground of your pumpkin patch. A top tip is to use a paper clip to keep the corners together as the glue dries.
- Take 5 orange craft sticks and cut each in half.
- Onto the top peel the back off of the sticks half way and attach the craft stick to the back of the pumpkin then put back the sticker back.
- On the bottom of each craft stick write the numbers in marker pen from 1 to 10.
- Create some vines for your pumpkin patch by wrapping the green pipe cleaner/chenille stick around a pen or pencil.
Setting up the pumpkin patch Maths Game
Randomly push the pumpkins into the slots you have created in the cardstock and add in some vines.
Playing with the pumpkin patch Maths Game
We used to the pumpkin patch to work on number recognition but check out the ideas for some extension activities that you could use the pumpkin patch for.
Ask your child to pick a pumpkin from the patch. As they pull it out get them to read the number on the bottom of the stick – if this is the first time with number recognition then help with by saying the number as they pull it out.
Place it to the side and then pull out another number. Read the number out and then help them to order the number with the stick. We did this by counting from 1 to 10 emphasising the number by saying it louder and pointing to the pumpkin that we had already picked.
Repeat until all of the pumpkins have been picked. Then replant them into the pumpkin patch randomly and repeat.
Extension activities for the pumpkin patch Maths Game
As well as number recognition here are a few more ideas that you could use the pumpkin patch for.
- One more and one less. Pick a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch and then ask your child for the number one more or one less than the number they have.
- Counting on. Pick a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch and then another count on the second pumpkin’s number to find the total.
- Addition. Similar to above but working on straight addition – also can be used for subtraction.
- Number bonds to 10. Pick a pumpkin and read the number work out the number that will be needed to make 10 using number bond facts.
More Pumpkin Learning Activities and Crafts
‘Tis the season for pumpkins so check out these pumpkin activities and crafts from our archives to use with this activity as well.
Virtual Book Club for Kids
Activities for 5 Little Pumpkins from the cohosts of the Virtual Book Club for Kids
Each week I will be sharing other activities created by the hosts of the Virtual Book Club for Kids specifically for the week’s featured book and theme. This week they are all based on 5 Little Pumpkins.
Literacy Activities for 5 Little Pumpkins
Pumpkin Rocks Alphabet Matching from Inspiration Laboratories
Pumpkin Light Box Letter Formation from Adventures of Adam
Pumpkin Patch Name Spelling Activity from Still Playing School
5 Little Pumpkins Fine Motor Busy Bag from Views From a Step Stool
Retelling with Finger Puppets from Chickadee Lit
Pumpkin Suncatchers from Clare’s Little Tots
Maths based activities for 5 Little Pumpkins
Make a Felt Pumpkin Face from Mama Smiles
Free Printable Pumpkin Shape Puzzles from School time Snippets
Easy Colorful Mosaic Pumpkins for Kids from Toddler Approved
Pumpkin Counting Printable from CraftCreateCalm
Pumpkin Math: How Many Segments? from Teach Beside Me
Sensory Activities for 5 Little Pumpkins
Pumpkin Sensory Play with Water from The Educators’ Spin On It
Recipes for 5 Little Pumpkins
Roasting Pumpkin Seeds With Kids: A Five Senses Experience from To be a Kid Again
Pumpkin Spice Cookie Bars from Sugar, Spice & Glitter
Science Activities for 5 Little Pumpkins
Do Pumpkins Float? from JDaniel4’s Mom
Preschool Pumpkin Skin Experiment from Preschool Powol Packets
Pin this Pumpkin Patch Number Activity for later
Share this idea for an autumn maths game on Facebook