The weather has suddenly turned here in the UK and I’m digging out our delicious family desserts and making some of our favourites. This traditional apple crumble recipe uses our basic crumble topping and is so quick to put together. Unlike our Bramley and sultana crumble this reminds me of school dinners and rainy days. It’s real comfort food, and although my kids love it with vanilla ice-cream I am partial to some warm custard on top of it. So here you go our Basic Apple Crumble Recipe that is so easy the kids can cook it too.
Recipe for Apple Crumble
This recipe uses our basic crumble topping – with just 3 ingredients it’s so easy to make, remember though that it’s best made with the butter straight out of the fridge don’t let it go to room temperature beforehand as that makes the crumble topping mix more sticky.
Serving 6 people we doubled the topping and there was plenty to go around. We traditionally have this on a Sunday evening after our Sunday Roast and as we are only 4 we cover and keep in the fridge to have the 2 spare portions in the week warmed up for lunch.
Apple Crumble Ingredients
2 portions of Basic Crumble Topping Mix
4 Bramley Apples peeled, cored and chopped (approximately 450g)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons Caster Sugar
Optional – 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Top tips for how to make Apple Crumble
I like to make this recipe as easy as possible, so although I have seen recipes that suggest making an Apple Pie filling for the crumble that just takes extra time and instead you can use cooking apples and with a touch of lemon juice plus the sugars it produces a little crunch to the crumble filling as well as the sweetness that comes from the apples.
If you want a small portion size, then halve the apples and use just one portion of crumble mix – but as it can be frozen and reheated or placed in the fridge then why not make this family sized dessert and enjoy it together.
We use a pyrex dish for the dessert -> our one is a 4l oval dish with handles and makes the perfect serving and cooking dish for the crumble.
Basic Apple Crumble Recipe
- 2 portions Basic Crumble Mix See the Recipe Notes for the Link
- 450 g Bramley Apples, peeled, cored and chopped This is approximately 4 large apples
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp Caster Sugar HEAPED
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon Optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Make the Crumble Mix as instructed.
- Peel, core and chop the Bramley Apples into small cubes.
- Pour over the lemon juice and mix well so that all of the apples are covered.
- Add the sugar and mix again - at this point if you wish you can add the ground cinnamon.
- Pour the crumble topping on top of the apple mix and even out with your hands.
- Place in the middle of the oven for between 30 and 40 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve best with vanilla ice cream or warm custard
More Rainy Day Meal Ideas and Desserts
Homemade Meat Sauce for Pasta that everyone will enjoy
Pin this Simple Apple Crumble Recipe to Make Later