As we count down to Christmas our 2 favourite activities are to get creative and also to head to the cinema for a family movie time. This year we are really excited to see the latest instalment in the Nativity series. Nativity Rocks! which is out in the cinemas from the 23 November. Inspired by this film we've got a really easy and fun rock theme salt dough ornaments for you to create perfect to make after you've rocked out with the movie. So here we go our Rockin' Gingerbread Men Saltdough Decorations which are gingerbread scented too.
We have been paid to produce this content on behalf of the Nativity Rocks! Movie
Gingerbread Men Saltdough Ornaments
We love creating Christmas decorations with salt dough. It's easy to make, even young kids can use it and combined with some cookie cutters and paint even the youngest members of the family can join in making ornaments for the tree.
Materials Need to Make Rockin' Gingerbread Men Salt dough Christmas Tree Decorations
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
Gingerbread man and guitar cookie cutters
Hot glue gun
Ribbon or string for hanging
Watch our quick video on making these Gingerbread Salt dough Ornaments with the Kids
How to make your Gingerbread Saltdough Men Decorations
- Preheat an over to 100C.
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the water. If the mixture is too dry or wet then add a little more water/flour till you have a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface or a pastry mat.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2cm thick.
- Using the cookie cutters cut out 2 gingerbread men and 2 guitars.
- With the straw make a hole in the top of the gingerbread men so that you can hang them up.
- Place them on a lined baking tray.
- With a marble to hold the arm in place bend the arms of the gingerbread men over (see the video how to achieve this).
- Then place in the oven for between 2hrs and 3hrs. (The saltdough will turn from brown to mottled brown during this time and become solid)
- Once solid allow to cook and then paint.
- Paint the gingerbread men with brown paint (the gingerbread smell will still come through the back of the ornament whilst it hangs on the tree).
- Then add a colour to the guitars.
- Leave this paint to dry.
- Finish of the painting by adding details to the face, gingerbread men and guitars.
- Now with the ribbon loop it through the hole pull tight and then tie so you hang from the branch of the Christmas Tree.
NOTE - With the marbles, you can not dry these Gingerbread Men Ornaments in the microwave this method of curving the arms is only suitable for oven or air drying the saltdough.
Nativity Rocks! is set in St Bernadette's Primary School it rocks out this time with the pupils and staff as they put on this year's Rock Version of the classic school Nativity Show as they try and win a Town of the Year competition.
Out in the cinemas on November 23rd we will be heading out as a family to watch it as we spend time together this Christmas Counting down to Christmas.