I love salt dough it’s got to be one of my favourite materials to use with the kids. Just raid the kitchen cupboards and mix it up then make. Dry and you have your Christmas Ornament or model to decorate. These Gingerbread Men use our Gingerbread Salt Dough Recipe which continues to release a scent for years due to the spices included. So here we go Salt Dough Gingerbread Men Decorations for Christmas.
Gingerbread Men Salt Dough Decorations
Although I love hanging these gingerbread men on the tree I made up a big batch to use for our garlands and wreaths this year.
Combined with our dried orange slices and whole oranges they are going to look fantastic decorating the house for Christmas.
As they hang much like the gingerbread men garland that we made when T was in preschool the scent will continue to release and lightly fragrance the air in the kitchen.
Making the Salt Dough Coloured
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
In our original once dry the gingerbread men lost a little of their colour so this time I took some inspiration of our white salt dough recipe and added the colour before drying.
The brown acrylic paint used has made sure that the gingerbread men ornaments have kept their colour throughout and also means less painting at the other end, unlike our rocking gingerbread men where we used the classic salt dough recipe and painted the gingerbread men fully.
When it came to painting I wanted to keep it really simple, they are mostly to be combined with the dried fruit so it makes sense. So a few dots around the edge and a face are all they need.
Gingerbread Men Salt Dough Ornaments for Christmas Crafts
- Gingerbread Man Cookie Cutter (6cm/2.5")
- Rolling Pin
- Paint brush
- Pair of Scissors
- Straw or Knitting Needle for making a hole
- Baking Tray
- Preheat the oven at 100C.
- Mix up the gingerbread salt dough as stated in the linked instructions.
- Squirt in some brown acrylic paint and knead to a smooth dough.
- WASH ALL EQUIPMENT AND HANDS NOW!
- Knead the dough and with a rolling pin roll to around 1/2cm thick.
- Cut out your gingerbread men with the gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Any excess salt dough remove and knead to roll out again and repeat.
- Place on a lined baking tray and into the oven.
- Dry for around 1 hour and check that the ornaments are solid.
- If not return to the oven for 30-minute intervals. If dried turn out onto a wire rack and let cool.
- Once cool decorate with white acrylic paint. Drip the end of the paintbrush into the white paint and dot around the outside.
- Add in a face with a smile. And buttons to your body.
- Leave to dry and then add ribbon or twine to hang from the tree or use florist wire to attach to wreaths and garlands for more Christmas decorations.
More Salt Dough Decorations & Ideas to Make
These Salt Dough Ideas are so simple to make check them out and get creative whilst you have the materials out to make them.