Are you looking for a simple sensory activity for the 4th of July that will entertain the kids but take you very little time to prepare? Then this red, white and blue playdough invitation is for you. With very little prep (even if you do make your own playdough) it’s ready to do in minutes and your children can entertain themselves. So here you go our 4th of July Sensory Activity for your little ones.
Patriotic Playdough Invitation
This simple invitation to play is quick and easy to set up and ready for your little one to explore on their own. There are some prompts below that if your child is not sure where to start you could give them. But in my experience, most children will go ahead and explore the tray on their own using their imagination to play.
We’ve used a dip tray for this, however, if you are travelling for Independence Day then why not use a sectioned lunch box and a lap tray or play tray table it makes for a perfect little busy box that your kids can use to entertain them on the journey.
FREE 4th of July Bingo Game for Kids
Subscribe to Rainy Day Mum today and receive a bonus gift from us of a fun Bingo game for the 4th of July.
Supplies Needed for Your Independence Day Playdough Invitation
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
- White playdough – our homemade playdough recipe is ready in just 5 minutes or you could use some of our favourite brands
- Sectional tray – ours is dip tray like this one
- Wooden Stars in Red, White and Blue
- Red, White and Blue Star Buttons
- Star Cookie Cutters – we seem to have a large collection in our sensory box for playing with clay and playdough
- Plastic mat to protect surfaces if you’re at home
Other ideas to add to the sensory activity depending on the age of your child and how likely they are to put the objects in their mouths
Preparation For this Red, White and Blue Playdough Invitation
If needed make up your playdough – the recipe above is no-cook and will be mixed in just 5 minutes.
- Place the playdough in the middle of the tray.
- Arrange the other objects you have picked around the outside.
- Place on your protective mat.
- Let your kids enjoy!
4th of July Printable Games and Activities for Kids only $5
A printable activity set of fun and games for kids to celebrate the 4th of July.
Playdough Invitation Prompts
If your little one is struggling to know what to do here are just a couple of ideas that you could suggest to get them to start to engage with the invitation to play.
- Make patterns in the dough
- Match stars together
- Match colours
Once they get engaged I have no doubt that their imagination will soar and they will be playing for a while yet!
Don’t forget to save this to find again or share it with your friends.
More Activities for the 4th of July with Kids
Check out these other ideas for more 4th of July Fun with your kids
- 4th of July Fireworks Art for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Simple Independence Day Placemats for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Mini Flag Pizzas to Cook with Kids
- 4th of July Sensory Bin
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.