I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
I’m bored is one of the most dreaded phrases for a Mum to hear – don’t get me wrong it’s good for the kids to be bored they can get creative but when they’ve done everything (or so the house looks like!) it’s always good to have a backup plan so we’re joining together with some fantastic bloggers today to bring you themed ideas for hosting a summer camp at home. Now my kids are bug mad, they hunt them, they talk about them and J from when he was 2 has wanted to be a Jungle Explorer so he can find even more – 3 years on and that is still his dream so we go for it. With that in mind, we’re helping you out with some little bug adventures with our Bugs and Butterflies Summer Camp at Home.
Rather than giving you a strict schedule which I know wouldn’t work with us as I do like to take spur of the moment adventures with the kids especially if it’s a fantastic day and the beach or lake call us. So here’s some crafts, snacks, books and more that you can dip in and out of as you wish.
Bugs and Butterfly Crafts
There are just so many ways that you can get creative with bugs and butterflies here’s just a few to try
- Ladybug Sun Catcher
- Spoon Bugs from Crafts by Amanda
- Butterly Blot Paintings
- Pine cone Bees
- Caterpillar Sponge Craft from Buggy and Buddy
- Itsy Bitsy Hand Puppet from Lalymom
- Easy Ant Puppet from Toddler Approved
- And no Bug and Butterfly Camp would be complete without creating your own Bug Hotel (from Red Ted Art) for the back yard
Bug and Butterfly Snacks
No Camp would be complete without snacks and treats here’s some fab Butterfly and Bug themed snacks that you could try making with and for the kids
- Butterfly Cakes
- Any of these Garden Party Foods from Eats Amazing would work – I’m going to be trying the dough ball caterpillars
- Oreo dirt cups these look amazing from Shari Blogs
- Gummy Worm Punch from Bitz n Giggles
- Ladybug Pretzels from Meaningful Mama
Get Active with Bugs
Although the crafts and snacks are good, kids need to be active and get outside or even if it’s too hot be active inside incorporate these games and activities into your summer camp at home for bugs and butterflies.
- Create a Giant Spiders Web
- Make a Baby Bumble Bee and then use it to work on motor skills with these fun activities and song from The Inspired Tree House Team
- Honey Pot Game from Sugar Aunts
Bug learning and sensory play
Whilst the summer is all about having fun, there is part of me that wants the kids to do a little learning as well and these Bug and Butterfly themed Learning and Sensory Activities are great with kids.
- Ladybug Maths
- Minibeast Playdough Animals
- Alphabet Bug Spray from Toddler Approved
- Ladybug Number Game from Housing a Forest
- Pollen Transfer from ABC to ACT’s
- Catch a Bug Printable Game from Picklebums
- Bug Slime from Craftulate
- Butterfly Colour and Number Walk Game from Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Summer Camp at Home
Join the other bloggers creating your themed Summer Camp at Home, dip in and find ideas you love or carry out a week at a time make sure that those words “I’m bored” aren’t uttered too many times this summer vacation.
Week1 Sugar Aunts: Outer Space
Week 2 Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails: Ocean
Week 3 Still Playing School: Colors
Week 4 Where Imagination Grows: Backyard Fun
Week 5 Little Bins for Little Hands: Science
Week 6 All Done Monkey: Legos
Week 7 Rainy Day Mum: Bugs & Butterflies
Week 8: The Pleasantest Thing: Dinosaurs
Week 9 JDaniel 4’s Mom: Rainforest
Week 10: Coffee Cups and Crayons: Secret Spy School
Week 11 Fun-a-Day: Frozen