We recently hosted a Fairy Tea Party for T’s 3rd birthday and one of the treats that we served were some Butterfly Fairy Cakes that T and I made together, they are really easy to make and very pretty. We accompanied them with a Fairy Toadstool cake which although looking complicated was very easy to make. If you remember butterfly cakes from your childhood that were slightly different maybe they were our other favourite recipe for kids to make butterfly cakes with buttercream frosting.
Butterfly Fairy Cakes Ingredients
Makes 12 Butterfly Fairy Cakes
4oz Golder Caster Sugar.
4oz Self Raising Flour.
2 teaspoons Baking Powder.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Ready to roll fondant icing.
Food Colouring Paste.
Related article ~ Really Easy Birthday Cake Recipe for Busy Mums
Butterfly Fairy Cakes Method
Line a cupcake tin with some colourful cupcake cases (we use fairy cake cases the smaller size not muffin size) and preheat an oven to 180C.
Measure out the Margarine and Golder Caster Sugar and cream together in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
Beat the two eggs together and add to the creamed margarine and caster sugar and mix together.
Add the flour, vanilla extract and baking powder and mix together. Then add to the cupcake cases and put into the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until the cakes are golden and springy to the touch.
Place on a rack to cool
Whilst they are cooling roll out white fondant icing and using a circle pastry cutter cut out circles that are the same size as the top of the cupcakes (12 in total). Then colour some of the icing using the colours that you wish to use. We had yellow, purple, pink and green so I divided up a little of the icing and added a small dash of the paste food colouring to each of the 4 balls and mixed the colour throughout the icing.
Roll out the icing and using a small butterfly cutter cut out butterflies for the top of the cakes. Put the circle of white icing on top of the cake and then with a tiny dab of water add the coloured butterfly to the top.
These would make a perfect activity for a fairy party for preschoolers or kindergarten aged children – you could make the cakes in advance and then they could make their cakes during the party to take home with them at the end.
Fondant Butterfly Cakes
- 4 oz Margarine
- 4 oz Caster Sugar
- 4 oz Self Raising Flour
- 2 medium Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Packet Ready to roll white icing
- Food Colouring Paste
- Cream the margarine and sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy
- Add the egg mix until combined
- Add the flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract and mix
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases
- Divide the mix equally between the cases
- Place in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes until slightly golden and nicely risen
- Leave to cool before decorating
- Divide your white fondant into a main ball of white and then smaller balls for each coloured butterfly you will make.
- Colour the balls according the food colouring instructions
- Roll out the white fondant and cut out circles slightly smaller than the top of the cake
- Place on the cake
- Roll out the coloured fondant and cut out some butterflies.
- Place these butterflies on the cakes