One of our family’s favourite loaf cakes to bake is a sticky gingerbread cake. It reminds me of Christmas whatever time of the year we have it and this recipe is so simple. It makes two 2lb gingerbread loaves one of which we freeze and have at a later date. As it’s so moist it also lasts really well and is a perfect treat for having with a coffee and a book on an afternoon or evening. So here we go we’re sharing with you our traditional sticky gingerbread loaf cake recipe.
Sticky Gingerbread Cake
We have included links to some of the products and resources we have used with this activity. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
If you’ve never had a tradition gingerbread loaf then you’re in for a real treat and have been missing out.
Unlike Gingerbread Cookies this is really moist and rich, and is the perfect way to make the house smell fantastic as you cook.
How to Freeze the Ginger Cake Loaves
This is one of the best things about this recipe that it can be frozen. This recipe makes two loaves. Once which we eat now and the other goes in the freezer to pull out later.
Once you have baked the ginger cake in a loaf tin leave it to cool.
Once fully cooled, it’s time to wrap in greaseproof paper, then foil and put in the freezer.
When you want that extra treat.
Bring it out of the freezer and leave for around 3hrs to defrost. Just before serving I like to warm up it slightly.
So switch on the oven at the lowest heat and put it in for around 15 minutes. This will finish the defrosting and also warm it up slightly then it’s ready to share with family and friends.
Equipment Needed for Making the Ginger Cake
As said this recipe makes two 2lb cakes so I make ours in a 2lb loaf cake tin with a greaseproof liner this helps to keep it fresh as well making the washing up easier and ensuring that the cake doesn’t stick to the sides of the loaf pan.
I also use a large mixing bowl for some reason I’ve never made this cake in my stand mixer as it’s a much more liquid cake batter than you may be used to.
Sticky Gingerbread Loaf Cake
- 2lb Loaf Pan
- Loaf Pan Liners
- Sauce Pan
- 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 125 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 200 g Golden Syrup See notes on weighing Golden Syrup and Black Treacle
- 200 g Black Treacle See notes on weighing Golden Syrup and Black Treacle
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 250 ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 2 tbsp of warm water
- 300 g plain flour All-Purpose Flour in the USA
- Preheat the over to 170C
- In the saucepan melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup, black treacle and spices.
- Once melted remove from the heat and add in the milk, eggs and dissolved bicarbonate of soda.
- Stir to combine all liquid ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve in the flour.
- Now pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Mix the mixture well until thoroughly combined.
- Line a 2lb loaf with a loaf pan liner.
- Pour half the batter into the loaf pan liner.
- If you have another tin do the same. If not wait till 1 cooks then repeat filling and cooking again.
- Bake for 45minutes to 1hr until it's risen and firm. You want it to be sticky so better to test it at the hr point.
- Set aside to cool and if needed make the 2nd gingerbread cake loaf.
More Cakes to Bake
We love baking cakes so why not try a couple of the other cake recipes we have and check out our cake board on Pinterest.
The recipe for our traditional farmhouse fruitcake also doubles up as a last-minute Christmas Cake Recipe and is alcohol-free.
If you love oranges then our Marmalade Loaf Cake is delicious. It’s sticky like this gingerbread but is full of lovely orange flavours.