One of our favourite dinner recipes to cook with toddlers is pizza. It’s one of their favourite things to eat so that helps as well! Although they love the puff pastry pizza wheels we make (and they are ideal for a snack) they do love to be involved in the proper pizza for our weekly Friday pizza night. Using our easy pizza dough recipe it’s really fun to get them involved in cooking with you. So here you go our recipe for pizza for toddlers.
Making Pizza with Toddlers
Before you even start this will get messy. Unlike normal bread dough (check out our easy bread dough recipe too) pizza dough is stickier. If you toddler is used to playdough then they will probably treat the pizza dough the same.
That’s perfectly normal and what we do is provide extra dough so that they can play once you and they create the pizza base together.
Tips for Pizza making with toddlers
- Prepare before hand. Grate your cheese, put the pizza sauce in a bowl, open and put in a bowl any extra’s like pepperoni you will use and make the dough ahead of time.
- Divide the dough up into toddler fist size balls.
- Use a heavy rolling pin and help.
- Don’t expect round or even for the dough. You’re not going to have a thin crust either… This will be thick crust and rustic at it’s best.
- Use the kitchen table instead of the worktop. It’s so much easier to help. Put down an oil cloth table cloth and wipe it down afterwards.
Pizza Recipe to Cook with Toddlers
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Tray
- 1 portion Homemade Pizza Dough
- Tomato puree or pizza sauce
- 1 cup Grated cheese
- Toppings of your choice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- flour for dusting
- Divide the dough into 5 portion. Whilst you prepare the baking trays give 1 portion to your toddler to play with.
- Lightly grease the baking trays and pre-heat the oven to 180C
- When you are ready. Assist your toddler with rolling out the pizza dough. You aren't looking for perfection and if they are struggling with the rolling pin you can always use your hands to flatten and shape the dough together.
- Once the dough is round spoon the tomato puree onto and spread.
- Add your toppings of choice.
- Then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Place the pizza on the baking tray and into the oven for around 12 minutes.
- Once cooked allow to cool slightly and then cut into portions.
More Easy Recipes to COok with Toddlers
Why not try some of these other easy toddler recipes to cook together
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.