In the UK we’re at the very start of the growing season and I’m hoping to spend a lot of time out in the garden growing food and flowers for the home. My biggest wish is that the kids will join in and learn to love gardening and pottering around just like I do. But it can take time to grow things – some of their favourite vegetables to eat will take months to grow like tomatoes and sweet corn. However, to get them in the mood we can grow quick growers in between so that they see results immediately.
My kids love the starting growing, the soil, the seeds and the initial watering of the plants but waiting weeks for them to sprout through the surface and then months to show their beauty or to eat they lose interest. Now these flowers are great for the UK and many are available in other countries or ones of the same type but a different variety.
Quick Growing plants – Flowers
Quick Growing plants – Vegetables
Salad Bowl Lettuce
Mustard or Cress Seeds – try growing these indoors like we did with our caterpillars
Beans – perfect to grow in glass jars to watch them grow
Growing Tips with Kids
- Use unusual containers – old boots, egg shells, tea pots, old pans all make for great pots
- Have everything to hand – compost/soil, seeds, watering can
- Make sure you have equipment that the kids can handle
- Teach the kids not to over water – start off putting less water than needed in the watering can and show them what it should look like when they water
- Get them to help to weed around the plants, plant out, water, feed and harvest