If you have a child in preschool or in the first year of school (reception or kinder) you will probably be spending a lot of time learning about phonics with them. The sounds that can be found in words and the corresponding letters that make them. This activity is a classic from the playground but is easy to do at home and provides a great way to support your child’s learning outside of the classroom. With the chalk letter phonics activity we are working on connecting phonemes with the grapheme – or letter to you and me – that makes that sound. I’ve included some other activities further down the post for using this same activity for learning names, letter sounds and working on digraphs, trigraphs and further.
Read more about Phonics with our Parent’s Guide on the subject
Setting up Chalk Letters Phonics Activity
Using some sidewalk or chunky chalks write the outlines of the letters you are going to focus on.
Shout out the phoneme – the sound that the letter makes e.g. j as in jello or m as in mum. And let your child go and find the letter that you have drawn.
Once they have found the letter they colour it in. Then move onto another letter.
Additional Activities with Chalk Letter Phonics
You can easily adapt this activity for using with different stages try some of these ideas below depending on where you and your children are at the moment and what they are working towards.
- Use only letters of their name and help them learn how to read, spell and recognise the letters in their names
- Instead of phonemes start working on diagraphs and trigraphs try not to use a diagraph or trigraph that has the same sound initially
- When your child starts to understand digraphs and trigraphs further put them into context and get them to find the correct context e.g. it’s like the I sound in Like or the I sound in night
More Phonics activities to support your child’s learning
More Phonics Activities from Other Sites
- Activite Alphabet Activities – Toddler Approved
- 20 Alphabet and Phonics Activities for Kids – Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
- Gross Motor Phonics Game – Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Learning Letters and their Sounds – Mama Smiles
- Water Balloon Phonics – Mess for Less
Pin this Chalk Letter Phonics Activity to Come Back to
Share this activity with others on Facebook
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Out of this World Space Activities for Toddlers - April 26, 2017
- Easy Pastry Wheels to Cook with Toddlers and Preschoolers - April 25, 2017
- Easy Dinosaur Fossils to Make with Kids - April 20, 2017