I love apples, for the last 9 years, I have been very fortunate to walk into our garden and pick from our two apple trees. That is about to change as we move to new pastures although we will be adding an apple tree to our new garden as soon as we can. We’ve made my apple and cinnamon loaf so many times that as soon as I head out with the colander to pick the apples the kids know that by the end of the day there will be a couple of loaves in the freezer and one ready for tea time that day. But, I also love using the apples in savoury dishes as they are the first of the Autumn family meals and also entertaining.
Now I promise you that not all of these recipes are healthy but there is a mix of comfort food, side dishes and main courses that will start the season of beautifully. So here we go Savoury Apple Recipes for Fall.
RECIPES STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX
Get Weekly Recipes for families straight to your inbox to click and print.
and your FREE kitchen Conversions chart
Soup Recipes including Apples
One of the best things about Autumn for me is spending the morning in the park or a walk in the countryside and then returning home or visiting a pub out and about to enjoy a large bowl of homemade soup with some fresh bread. These 10 soup recipes include apples and are mouthwateringly delicious.
- Celeriac and Bramley Apple Soup from the Sainsbury Magazine
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup with Sage Parmesan Croutons from Well Plated by Erin
- Creamy Parsnip and Apple Soup from the BBC
- Butternut Squash, Leek and Apple Soup from My New Roots
- Curried Lentil, Parsnip and Apple Soup from the BBC Good Food
- Cauliflower, and parsnip soup with caramelised onions and apples from Foraged Dish
- Carrot, Apple and Rosemary Soup from The Little Green Spoon
- Hungarian Apple Soup from Eating Well
- Sweet Potato and Apple Soup from Super Healthy Kids
- Cinnamon Apple Turnip Soup from Turnip in the Oven
Apple Salads and Sides for your Fall Entertaining
The early part of Autumn can often be warm – in fact this week in the UK we are expected to hit September highs with the temperature reaching over 30C. So it’s nice to have some lighter meals like salads that can double as side dishes for when you entertain as well as some dedicated side dishes that include seasonal ingredients to tempt you to enjoy.
- Apple Cranberry and Almond Coleslaw from Cooking Classy
- Broccoli Apple Salad from The Recipe Critic
- Apple Coleslaw from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Carrot Apple Slaw with Cranberries and Feta from Five Heart Home
- Kale and Apple Salad with Creamy Coconut Yoghurt Dressing from Well and Full
- Apple Pecan Rosemary Greek Yoghurt Chicken Salad from Cooking Classy
- Curried Apple Salad with Spiced Chickpeas from Natural Girl Modern World
- Apple Maple Pecan Salad from Taste of Home
- Autumn Apple and Pear Salad from Recipe Runner
- Apple Brie Salad from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Comfort Food for Autumn Days
One of my favourite things about apples is that they store all winter when you store them well and that means as the days get shorter and the weather colder you can cosy up and enjoy some delicious comfort food made with apples.
- Apple and Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Domestic Superhero
- Sausage and Apple Casserole in Cider from Lavender and Lovage
- Sticky Apple Sausage and Bacon from BBC Good Food
- Dorset Pork and Cider Casserole from Delicious Magazine
- Butternut Squash Apple and Onion Galette with Stilton from Matt Bites
- Pork and Apple Burgers from Red Online
- Apple and Carmelized Onion Pizza from Half Baked Harvest
- Caramelized Apple and Fennel, Pork Sausage Rolls from The Flavour Bender
- French Pork with Apple Cream Sauce from The Wanderlust Kitchen
- Apple and Cheddar Quiche with Olive Oil and Thyme Crust from Hip Foodie Mom
Apple recipes to cook with kids
Left – Apple and Cinnamon Loaf
Centre – Pork and Apple Sausage Casserole