One of our favourite materials from the recycling box to craft with is egg cartons. We buy our eggs locally and they always come in a cardboard box which is ideal for getting creative with and painting. From our Pirates treasure chest to our Ladybirds we’ve had so much fun over the years. These little lambs and sheep from the egg carton are great to make with your toddlers and preschoolers. So here we go our Egg Carton Little Lamb Craft for Toddlers and Preschoolers.
Little Lamb Egg Carton Craft for Kids
When we first made this craft we made it to go along with the Nursery Rhyme Mary Had a Little Lamb.
This can get a little messy so be warned painting of egg cartons with kids is “fun”!
Materials for Painting Egg Carton Sheep
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve tried painting egg cartons with ready-mixed kids paint but have found it to take 3 or 4 coats especially if the egg cartons are coloured.
So instead we use acrylic paints as these are much thicker and give a great coat to the egg cartons.
I bought a set of large tubes that makes it easy to craft with instead of lots of small tubes which are the ones that I use myself.
Egg Carton Lambs and Sheep to Make with Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Paint brush
- Paint Palette
- Cut the top off of the egg carton.
- Then cut each egg holder into a round these will be the sheep.
- Pour the white acrylic paint into the paint palette.
- Set up for a messy craft.
- With the black card draw in pencil and cut out a teardrop shape for an ear. Each Sheep will need 2.
Making Egg Carton Sheep with Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Take each egg carton and cover with white paint.
- Leave to dry.
- Add in the 2 goggly eyes for the sheep onto the face of the egg carton.
- Then fold a piece of the teardrop shape and attach to the side of your painted egg carton for the ear.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Then help your child to create the mouth shape of the sheep with a black marker pen.
More Sheep Crafts for Kids
Make a fun cotton ball lamb craft to go along with the Nursery Rhyme Mary Had a Little Lamb.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.