We’re back with a fun FREE printable Letter game for your preschoolers this week to go along with our Rainy Day Tots theme this week.
Our theme is all about Dinosaurs and we have some fun prehistoric crafts and activities for your toddlers and preschoolers to do.
This simple printable upper and lower case letter matching hatching baby dinosaur game is a fun way to get your little ones recognising and pairing their letters together.
Our Dinosaur Book for your Preschoolers
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
Each Rainy Day Tot theme we have a featured book we like to recommend.
The pick of our favourite dinosaur books for toddlers and preschoolers is the funny Dinosaurs Love Underpants by Claire Freedman and Ben Cort.
Find out why we have picked Dinosaurs Love Underpants and how it’s great for you and your tots to read together.
Dinosaur Game for Preschoolers
We love playing whilst we learn and games are a fun way that you and your preschool can sit down together and focus on an activity.
Matching upper and lower case letters is a skill that they will need to develop over the next couple of years.
A few letters are easy to identify – c and s for example whereas others are very different.
With this dinosaur game, we have created matching pairs of eggs and dino babies that have hatched from the eggs.
If you scroll down we have an extension activity whereby you can continue using it once the basics have been covered with a cracking egg dino baby game.
Materials Needed for Dinosaur Upper and Lower Case Letter Hatch Game
Prep Needed for Dinosaur Letter Match Game
- Print out the dinosaurs and Eggs onto card stock.
- Then cut out the dinosaurs and the eggs. I leave a little white edge around the dinosaurs otherwise, they are quite fiddly especially the T-Rex arms.
You may want to laminate them if you are going to be using them frequently.
Playing the Dinosaur Learning Game
- Layout the dinosaurs that have hatched from the eggs on a flat surface and the eggs.
- You can then choose whether you would like your child to identify the lower case letters on the dinosaurs or the Upper Case letters on the Eggs first. We choose the lower case as this is what we have been focusing on as capital letters come afterwards in the curriculum in the UK.
- Now ask them to say the letter name, or the letter sound I like mixing it up with what sound does that letter make – this will help with beginning reading. Or ask them to name the letter instead depending on what you have worked with before.
- They can now match up the baby dinosaur with the egg that it has come from.
Extention Idea for Dino Babies Letter Game
As an extension we decided to crack the eggs and build the Upper Case letters back together and then
Cut the letters so that you have two halves of the eggs and now you can get your child to match up the egg halves, then to find the dinosaur that hatched from the egg.
More Dinosaur Activities for Hands-ON Learning
- Dinosaur Sorting Activity for Preschoolers using toy dinosaurs
- Dinosaur Grab a fun motor and math game for preschoolers
- Dinosaur High Frequency Word Game for Kids