Living close to the beach we spent a lot of time there when the kids were very young. My youngest was a few weeks old the first time we headed there and by the time she was 1 she was as happy on the sand as I was. But... there was a vast difference between getting ourselves pre-kids to the beach and even when we just had 1 baby and getting to the beach with toddlers in tow. The first few times we visited you would have thought we were going for a week the amount of stuff we took. But as we got more and more used to it we discovered how much you could stream-line the process and with that came a much more enjoyable trip than before. So we here we go my Top 10 Tips for Getting you and your Toddlers to the Beach and ENJOYING IT TOO!
- Apply sun cream (factor 50+) before heading out - kids do not like sand coated hands for cream application.
- Use reusable swim nappies for non-potty trained toddlers - no rubbish on the beach and can put them in a wet bag to return home for washing
- Sunsuits are brilliant - if you need to reapply sun cream then you have less space to cover
- Set up a "camp" with a sun shade (we use a sun tent) so there is always some shade and a tarp to sit on.
- Bring double the amount of towels that you will need - keep 1 dry set in the car with a change of clothes - that way there won't be any problem when the toddler can't wait and runs into the sea fully clothed (yes that has happened)
- Bags to put all the essential finds in from the trip to the beach - shells, sea weed, bits of crabs!
- Take a lunch with you - toddlers will not want to the leave the beach and getting everything off the beach and then back is not fun at all - tomorrow I will sharing some sandwich making for toddlers and preschoolers to get them involved in the preparation
- Pack so that you can hold hands/carry if needed a back pack for your toddler is great you can put in their drink, some sand toys and then they feel like they have a role in going to the beach
- A kids trailer is great - it works for transporting everything over the sand and is also great fun when you are on the beach
- If you can get hold of them wrist bands for the kids are great put your phone number on and surname then if they wonder off and you loose them you can be contacted (remember to have your cell phone with you) - some of our popular beaches supply them in the UK
Activities and fun for Toddlers at the beach
Discover our Favourite Beach Games for Toddlers that the whole Family will Enjoy
The Educators Spin On It kept to the same routine and took their normal Tot School to the beach with lots of ideas for educational activities that are a lot more fun when you take them outside.
From Carrots are Orange some great Low Tide - strand line beach activities that would keep inquisitive toddlers entertained.
When you have your nature finds it's always a "what do I do with it" moment - No Time for Flash Cards has a great easy to make on the beach nature jar which will also help limit the amount of the beach that you bring home as well.
This is something I have never thought of doing but looks a lot of fun - some coloured sandcastles on the beach from A little learning for 2.
Beach Themed Activities for Toddlers when you Return
Try some of our Beach themed crafts - I want to make the sand handprints with my kids this year.
Create your own Vacation Memory Jar to look back on and remember the best bits of the trip.
Making a fish diorama is great fun - Learn with Play at Home has some fun fish and an underwater scene to make.
If you managed to escape the beach without taking half of the sand from it with you then The Imagination Tree has some cloud dough sandcastle building with glitter and shells (what more could a toddler/preschooler want).
More Tips and Advice for Summer Vacation and Holidays with Toddlers
How to Avoid Toddler Meltdowns when Travelling - Coming Soon