My perfect Family BBQ goes something like this – the kids playing in the paddling pool, the men chatting around the BBQ and the ladies enjoying some fruity drinks sitting down admiring the chaos that is going around and passing comments on how well done or not so well done we want our BBQ food! Of course, a British Summer BBQ will never go to plan but there are plenty of ways to make it a success no matter what the weather and YES, it is still possible to have a Summer BBQ even with wonderful British Weather especially when you include some Robinsons Fruit Squash for the whole family.
Robinsons Fruit Squashes
We are fans of Robinsons Fruit Squashes – in our cupboards, you will normally find – Orange, Strawberry and Kiwi and Pink Grapefruit Fruit & Barley and Apple & Blackcurrant No Added Sugar squash. So, we were excited to try some different flavours and I put my 3 most difficult testers to taste test them plus my parents and me… So here are our verdicts on – Fruit & Barley Summer Fruits and Apple & Elderflower, and Lemon Barley Water.
For a start – I loved all of them and to the mums out there – Apple and elderflower with sparkling water – a non-alcoholic alternative to Prosecco this summer.
However, here’s the 3 fussy’s verdict.
My husband – LOVED them all – although his favourite will be the Lemon Barley Water – he already drinks the Lemon No Added Sugar Squash regularly, but found the Barley Water more refreshing, especially in the heat.
My Daughter – Liked them all but has asked repeatedly for Summer Fruits Fruit & Barley as her favourite – she has a sweet tooth and previously has only drunk the Strawberry and Kiwi flavour, but now wants to only drink this.
My Son – Found the Lemon Barley Water a little too sharp, liked the Apple and Elderflower Fruit & Barley – he loves Apple Juice but his favourite which considering he doesn’t like berries was the Summer Fruits.
So, all were a success and we will be making sure that we stock them in our drink selection to ensure that all of us get enough water every day.
Easy Fruit Skewers
With the majority of Robinsons Fruit Squash containing no added sugar, why add extra sugar to dessert? Instead we raided the fruit collection at the supermarket and got some real bargains (do check what is on special offer especially in summer as fruit becomes much cheaper like our Kiwi’s that we got 6 for 49p!)
Selection of colourful fruit – especially good if you have fussy eaters – make food colourful, self-preparable (is that even a word!), and fun to eat and enjoy together.
My daughter selected our rainbow fruits – strawberries and raspberries, oranges and satsumas, apples, grapes and kiwi, blueberries and grapes
Get T’s easy Rainbow Fruit Skewer Recipe at the end of the post to print and keep
Ingredients for your Easy Fruit Skewers
Making Rainbow Fruit Skewers
- Cut up your fruit into small chunks – I did this ahead of my daughter preparing the food including peeling to save time
- Then thread the fruit onto the skewers in a rainbow order
- If you run out of rainbow order then just make fruit skewers – my fussy eater loved his apple only skewer.
5 Top Tips on How to Survive a British Summer BBQ?
- First – prepare for the worst – my friends have a Gazebo to BBQ under (but only if you have GAS) if not one of them then a Golfing Umbrella is the key.
- Forget about being organised and having an outside table laid instead use a cutlery caddy and a tray with the condiments on.
- Prepare ahead – we made all of our food ahead of time covered and placed in the fridge
- Get your drinks sorted out – with most family living far away we tend to provide mainly soft drinks so we get a jug of ice cold water for hot days and then provide a selection of Fruit Squashes from Robinson as they contain real fruit in every drop for people to make their own drinks.
- Have an inside area or undercover outside area as a backup plan ours was the dining room.
I’m working with Robinsons in a paid relationship. Find out more about Robinsons here https://www.robinsonssquash.co.uk/
Easy Fruit Skewers ideal for summer BBQ's that are so quick that kids can make too as well as taste testing Robinson Squashes, refreshing summer drinks for your family summer parties
- Mini Skewers
- handfull Strawberries
- handfull Raspberries
- 1 Oranges
- 1 Apples
- 1 Kiwi's
- handfull Blueberries
- handfull Red Grapes
Cut up your fruit into small chunks - I did this ahead of my daughter preparing the food including peeling to save time
Then thread the fruit onto the skewers in a rainbow order
If you run out of rainbow order then just make fruit skewers - my fussy eater loved his apple only skewer.