We love decorating our home with natural ornaments at Christmas time. From pine cones and twigs to pretty orange slices. But, these may just be one of my favourites, orange tea light holders. They are so easy for you older kids and you to make and make the house smell amazing plus add a little Hygge feel with the candlelight. You could of course switch out the flame candle for a battery-operated one if you wish. So here you go our how to make orange tea light holders.
Real Orange Tea Light Holders
One of the joys of this simple Christmas Craft is that afterward, you have an amazing fragrant candle holder.
The cloves and orange combine to gently scent your home. Although these won’t last forever, they are good for using up older oranges and especially as an easy Christmas craft you can do with the kids through advent.
Make Memories every day as you countdown to Christmas
24 Simple and easy activities to do at home with your kids this Christmas.
Materials Needed to Create your Orange Candle Holder
- Whole cloves
- Tea lights (battery operated are good if you are making them with kids)
- Small sharp knife
- Toothpicks (optional)
Making your Natural Christmas Candle Holder
Use the tea light to draw a circle on the top of the orange skin so you will know where to cut.
Then with a sharp knife cut out the circle and remove the skin so that the tea light will go into it neatly. If you are doing this with young children please do this stage or supervise your older kids.
With the hole cut, use a spoon to scoop out the orange so that your tea light fits neatly inside the hole.
It’s now time to decorate the orange we used whole clothes and created a simple pattern. Top tip to make it easier to go in use a toothpick to create a small whole.
Then finish and add your tea light and enjoy this orange candle holder that will brighten and scent your room.
Pretty Natural Orange Tea Light Holders to Make with Kids
- Small Sharp Knife
- Optional Toothpick
- 1 large orange
- Handful Whole Cloves
- 1 tea light battery operated is good for younger kids
- With the tea light as a template draw a circle around the base on the orange skin with the pencil to show where you cut.
- Using the sharp knife cut into the skin and remove to allow you to see the orange pulp.
- Take the spoon and scoop out the orange pulp from inside just enough so that the tea light will easily sit in the hole you have made.
- Place the tea light in to check the fit and adjust if needed.
- Decorate the orange with whole cloves in a pattern of your choice.
- Once decorated add the tea light and light.
More Natural Christmas Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Dry Whole Oranges for Natural Decorations for Wreaths and Garlands
- Create pretty dried apple ornaments together
- Check out these simple Twig Christmas Crafts to make.
- Why not add a little more Hygge to your Christmas with this adorable no-sew gonk