At the weekend we saw my parents and as my Mum helped me put together a tutorial which will be up later this week on creating a burlap stocking we reminisced about making Christmas crafts with her when my brother and I were young. One of the things that she remembers is teaching us to use the sewing machine by creating decorations for the tree and as the sewing machine was out she decided it was time to pass on the knowledge and spend time with her grandchildren creating some Felt Christmas Stockings and ideal beginner sewing project for Kids.
I love my sewing machine but it’s really not suitable for young children however with talking to my Mum and with MaryAnne of Mama Smiles it seems like either the small IKEA sewing machine which appears you can only get in store or something like a small Janome or Singer as long as it has a speed setting and is easy to use it will be great for beginners and children alike.
Join us this summer and get 4 weeks of fun activities to create and learn straight to your inbox.
Teaching Kids Sewing Machine Safety
With a simple project like this there were a couple of safety rules that we told the kids from the start – Don’t place your fingers under the foot.
Always use your hand outside of the machine to feed the fabric through.
With those covered it was on to creating this very simple Felt Christmas Stocking with the kids.
Materials needed for this Felt Christmas Stocking
Craft felt – 100% wool felt would be my preferred material but with kids craft felt is good and much cheaper than 100% wool.
Fabric Scissors – this set is a great multipurpose set
Paper to create a template
Glue suitable for sticking felt
Grease proof paper
Out Now! – Countdown to Christmas Ebook
When life gets hectic in the lead up to Christmas wouldn’t it be great to be able to spend a little time with the family creating gifts for others, food to enjoy together and traditions that make magical Christmas Memories?
But what actually happens is you spend hours searching through Pinterest looking for ideas and realise halfway through saying you are going to start that you have only 1 thing on the materials list!
I’ve been there!
So that is why we’ve put together our 24 favourite Christmas Activities, Crafts and Recipes with full materials lists and step-by-step instructions so that you have everything at your fingertips.
Produced as a PDF you can download, print and use these ideas throughout the festive season with your children and families.
Find out more as we share with your our Favourite Ways to Countdown to Christmas.
Step by Step to make this Felt Christmas Stocking with children
- Cut out a stocking shape from your paper the size of a folded craft felt.
- Lay and pin the stocking shape to the folded in half craft felt with the straight edge against the fold.
- Cut out the stocking from the felt.
- Using a ruler cut out a strip of felt in a contrasting coloured felt which will form the cuff of the stocking.
- We cut it into a zig-zag shape.
- Pin the zig-zag to the top of the open stocking and cut off the excess.
- Thread the sewing machine and sew the cuff in place along the top edge.
- Now fold the stocking and pin together with the right sides out.
- Sew along the open edge around 1/4 of a inch from the outside steam.
- Using a Christmas Shaped cookie cutter draw a shape to add to the front of the stocking. J chose a gingerbread man and T a Christmas Tree.
- Cut out the shape.
- Hand sew on some sequins and buttons to add to the Christmas Shapes. Small sequins can also be stuck using a suitable glue.
- Fold some greaseproof paper so that it can be placed in the stocking to protect the back from sticking to the front.
- Glue on the Christmas Shape to the front of the stocking.
- Hand sew on some ribbon to the back edge of the stocking so that it can be hung from the tree.
More Christmas Crafts for Kids
- Folded Christmas Cards
- Drying Citrus Fruits
- Salt Dough Decorations to make
Pin this Beginner Sewing Christmas Stocking Project to make later
Share this beginning sewing project on Facebook