WOHO it’s Olympics week – the Opening Ceremony is on the 27th July and we’re sharing with you some preparations that you will need for your Opening Ceremony fun.
The first is the torch – essential as this will start the whole ceremony. We’ve been lucky enough to see the torch this time it was amazing, a carnival atmosphere with street bands and dancing, various global companies entertaining us. Now the real torch is very impressive – as are so many of the ones that I have seen around other blogs but we decided to go simple.
What you need to make a torch for the opening ceremony
White Cardstock (unless you have gold cardstock which would make it really special)
Tissue Paper in Red, Orange and Yellow
How you make a torch for the opening ceremony
Now our craft supplies are getting very low – I’ve been using them up ready to order for autumn and winter – so my cardstock wasn’t big enough for us. So to make it big I stuck together 3 pieces of cardstock along the landscape edge, J helped add the sticky tape.
We then had fun tearing the tissue paper into stripes to create our flames – they are best if they are different widths and lengths as this makes it more realistic. T also got in on the action – she’s starting to love tearing paper and it’s really good for fine motor skills. Once the paper was torn J and I created a cone from the cardstock and had fun sticking tape along the joins so it didn’t unroll.
Once we had the cone shape we used sticky tape to add the tissue paper to the cup to create the flames – we kept adding them until they looked full enough and that was our torch made.
We headed off to see the torch and had a great time watching it.
Here are a few other torches that you may like to try that we have pinned to our Bloggers Go Olympics Board on Pinterest.
- Olympic Torch Painting from JDaniel4’s Mom
- Edible Olympic Torches from The Fairy and The Frog
- Olympic Cone Cakes from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Mini Olympic Torch cupcakes from The Home Teacher
- Olympic Torch for the 2012 London Olympic Games from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Olympic Torch and relay activity from Toddler Approved
- Olympic Torch Craft from Entertaining Monsters
- Hama Bead Flame torch from Patch of Puddles
- How to make an Olympic Torch from Domestic Goddesque
Read this next
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Summer Crafts for Busy Mums - May 27, 2015
- Squashed Tomato Pasta Sauce - May 26, 2015
- Virtual Book Club for Kids – Summer Camp 2015 - May 25, 2015
- Summer Evenings – Family Fun Ideas with Young Kids - May 22, 2015
- Be Street Smart with Solar – #BritainsBrightestStreet - May 21, 2015