I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more information about this please see our disclosure policy.
WOHO it’s Olympics week – the Opening Ceremony is on the 27th July and we’re sharing with you some preparations that you will need for your Opening Ceremony fun.
The first is the torch – essential as this will start the whole ceremony. We’ve been lucky enough to see the torch this time it was amazing, a carnival atmosphere with street bands and dancing, various global companies entertaining us. Now the real torch is very impressive – as are so many of the ones that I have seen around other blogs but we decided to go simple.
What you need to make a torch for the opening ceremony
White Cardstock (unless you have gold cardstock which would make it really special)
Tissue Paper in Red, Orange and Yellow
How you make a torch for the opening ceremony
Now our craft supplies are getting very low – I’ve been using them up ready to order for autumn and winter – so my cardstock wasn’t big enough for us. So to make it big I stuck together 3 pieces of cardstock along the landscape edge, J helped add the sticky tape.
We then had fun tearing the tissue paper into stripes to create our flames – they are best if they are different widths and lengths as this makes it more realistic. T also got in on the action – she’s starting to love tearing paper and it’s really good for fine motor skills. Once the paper was torn J and I created a cone from the cardstock and had fun sticking tape along the joins so it didn’t unroll.
Once we had the cone shape we used sticky tape to add the tissue paper to the cup to create the flames – we kept adding them until they looked full enough and that was our torch made.
We headed off to see the torch and had a great time watching it.
Here are a few other torches that you may like to try that we have pinned to our Bloggers Go Olympics Board on Pinterest.
- Olympic Torch Painting from JDaniel4’s Mom
- Edible Olympic Torches from The Fairy and The Frog
- Olympic Cone Cakes from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Mini Olympic Torch cupcakes from The Home Teacher
- Olympic Torch for the 2012 London Olympic Games from Sun Hats and Wellie Boots
- Olympic Torch and relay activity from Toddler Approved
- Olympic Torch Craft from Entertaining Monsters
- Hama Bead Flame torch from Patch of Puddles
- How to make an Olympic Torch from Domestic Goddesque
Latest posts by Cerys Parker (see all)
- Seeing Elsa and Anna at Walt Disney World - May 27, 2016
- End of School Year Party - May 27, 2016
- Microwave Salt Dough Rainbow Fish - May 26, 2016
- Keep Reading this Summer with Storybook Summer - May 25, 2016
- 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids – Supporting Learning at Home - May 24, 2016