Ohhh finally we have the fresh cranberries in store and with the first packet this year we’ve made a delicious cranberry crumble bar recipe that I just had to share. Although we love our Christmas Fudge, Cookies and Mince Pies at Christmas it’s also nice to have some different treats and this is certainly a treat. So here you go a delicious Fresh Cranberry Crumble Bar for Christmas.
Cranberries are one of my favourite flavours of Christmas. From the cranberry sauce that I make to accompany the Christmas Turkey to my daughter and I’s favourite Christmas Cheese a Wensleydale with Cranberries in, to our White Chocolate and Cranberry Fudge that I shared last week. This recipe combines cranberries, maple syrup, oranges and pecans all flavours that just sing Christmas.
Cranberry Crumble Bar
Our favourite dessert is a crumble so adding a crumble to cakes and bars I know will always go down well with the family.
As I also have 2 kids that love the sourness of Cranberry this was sure to be a hit and it’s not difficult to make either which of course is a real bonus especially in the lead up to Christmas when life can get very busy.
Earlier this autumn we introduced the kids to pumpkin with our pumpkin muffins with a crumble top and they loved them so it was a good sign that they would probably like this too! When you have kids that are fussy eaters one of the best things I’ve found is to combine something that they are familiar with and love with the new food or ingredient.
Delicious Cranberry Crumble Bars for Christmas
Crumble and Crust
- 320 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 227 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1.2 kg fresh cranberries
- 201 g caster sugar
- 127.5 g unsweetened applesauce
- 5 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Zest of one large orange
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cold water
- 82 g pecan chips
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 9x13 inch rectangle baking tray with greaseproof or silicone paper.
- Using a stand mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder until combined.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly.
- Beat in the egg until combined.
- Set aside about 1 Cup of the crust to use for the crumble topping.
- Press the remaining crust into the baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Using a large saucepan, combine half of the cranberries, sugar, applesauce, maple syrup, orange zest, and salt.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a boil.
- Stir the cranberries.
- Once cranberries seem soft, reduce the heat to simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornflour and water.
- Pour cornflour mixture into the saucepan and mix until combined.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until cranberry filling is thick.
- Mix in the remaining cranberries.
- Spread the filling onto the crumb base.
- Sprinkle remaining crust onto the cranberry filling and top with the chopped pecans.
- Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until top is a slight golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars!
More Cranberry Recipes for Christmas
More Christmas Cakes and Treats Here on Rainy Day Mum
Christmas Eve Cookies quick and easy recipe to cook with the kids.
Traditional Peppermint Cream Mice to make with the kids.
Slow cooker Fudge an easy Christmas Gift idea for friends and family.
Don’t Forget to Pin The Christmas Cake Bars with Cranberry Filling to Make Later