Our favourite way to finish off a family meal is with a delicious dessert, for weekend’s I love to throw together a traditional or classic British dessert that is perfect to enjoy together as a family. Alongside crumbles another favourite is good old fashioned bread and butter pudding. We love making variations of it but also going back to basics and making a classic version that the kids love to eat. As we made it at the weekend again when it was raining and horrid I decided to take some pictures and share them with you here as well. So here we go our Classic Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe a great rainy day family dessert.
Bread and Butter Pudding
Bread and Butter Pudding is so easy to make. I remember having it regularly as a child and loved the combination of the fruits and custard-like filling in it.
When my kids were little they really weren’t keen on the plain pudding but instead, they absolutely devoured our Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding. It was one of the first recipes that they made completely solo (well I helped get it out of the oven but that was it.)
At Christmas, I shared another version that my husband and I enjoyed sharing with our friends when we entertained an easy to make Eggnog Bread and Butter Pudding. It was delicious and the cranberries and Eggnog turned the classic dessert into something simply amazing.
This recipe, however, is a spruced up version of my mid-week bread and butter pudding. This is for weekend’s it’s a little bit indulgent and a bit less healthy than some but it tastes amazing and well worth the extra calories to get it right.
The difference, the addition of full-fat milk and double cream. Normally on a weekday, I would throw it together with just semi-skimmed milk but why not treat yourself at the weekend with these little extra’s.
So here we go our indulgent, yummy, save for the weekend Bread and Butter Pudding like your grandma never made!
Best Weekend Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
- 115 g unsalted butter softened
- 1 loaf of white sliced bread edges trimmed and cut diagonally
- 75 g raisins
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 375 ml full-fat milk
- 60 ml double cream
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing Sugar for Dusting
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- One one side of each bread slice spread the butter. It is easier to spread when it is softened.
- Lay about 6-9 pieces of bread flat on the bottom of the baking dish and repeat for a second layer.
- Sprinkle half of the raisins over the flat bread.
- Place the remaining bread slices overlapping each other on top of the flat bread on the bottom.
- Add the other half of the raisins over the top of the bread and push between the overlapped parts so that they are throughout the bread and butter pudding.
- In a saucepan, heat up the milk and double cream until steaming.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, spices and vanilla extract.
- Gradually pour in the heated milk into the egg mixture while mixing constantly so that the eggs don't curdle.
- Gently and evenly pour the milk mixture over the bread.
- Place the baking dish into the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, turn oven off and leave in the oven for an addition 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dust icing sugar on top and serve.
More Delicious Classic Rainy Day Desserts to Enjoy with the Family
Use our traditional Crumble topping recipe with your favourite fruit and enjoy this classic school day dessert with the kids.
Comfort Food Recipes for the Family
If it’s raining and you want to just snuggle up and enjoy the company and the food then check out some of our favourite Comfort Food Recipes for families that are perfect for Rainy Days and Winter Storms.
Why not throw the ingredients for this Easy Beef Stew into the slow cooker and enjoy the day then come back to it for a delicious family dinner later.
Want something a little lighter to eat then most of our Rainy Day Soup Recipes can be made in advance and frozen to bring out when you want them.
Our family favourite and on our meal plan each week is a Bolognese why not try making our QUICK spaghetti bolognese recipe for easy rainy day meals for the family.