Our next book in our Storybook Advent Series is The Snowman by Raymond Briggs this year. It’s one of my personal favourite Christmas Books and Movies for Kids. Even now I’m an adult I’ll sit down at Christmas and read and watch the carton with my own kids and thoroughly enjoy it. This simple craft makes an ideal gift box that you can fill with Christmas treats or surprises and was really easy to make with the kids. So here we go our Snowman Gift Box Craft Inspired by The Snowman Book.
Snowman Christmas Gift Box Craft for Kids
But finding a gift box for them can be difficult.
So this year when we’ve had our coffee and it came in a tin can with a lid we have been saving them to create some little gift boxes for our treats.
This one was so simple to make and the kids loved filling it with surprises to give to their friends as Christmas presents.
Making your Snowman Tin
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
The kids wanted this to be a quick craft so decided that it would be better to wrap the tin rather than paint it.
However, if you wanted to paint it instead we’d recommend using Acrylic Paints rather than any others they will take a little longer to dry. But, they are then washable.
Our paper version can be slid off for easy washing too!
Join Us for Storybook Advent!
Join us for Storybook Advent a fun way to countdown to Christmas with the kids. 24 ideas for simple book based fun that you and they can do together.
From activities to recipes and crafts this is a great way to play, learn, read, create and have fun with your kids during advent.
Snowman Tin Gift Box for Kids to Make
- Hot Glue Gun
- white paper
- 2 small twigs
- black pompoms
- orange large pompom
- black felt
- black marker
- Wash clean and dry your tin.
- Lay it on a piece of paper and mark out at various places the top and bottom of the tin.
- Using a ruler draw a line connecting these points.
- Now cut out a piece of white paper the same width as the height of the tin that you will wrap around.
- Wrap around the tin with your piece of paper and glue along the edge of the paper. DO NOT GLUE ONTO THE TIN you want to be able to slip the paper off to clean.
- Press the other end and create your covered tin.
- Using the hot glue gun attach 3 pompom buttons to the lower half of the tin.
- Cut a "tangerine" shape from the orange felt for your Snowman's nose.
- Glue this in place with the hot glue gun.
- Add 2 black pompoms for eyes.
- Hot glue gun the small twigs to the side of the can for the arms.
- If you can has a lid then add a big pompom to the top.
- Lastly draw on a mouth just like James did in the story.
More Crafts and Activities Inspired by The Snowman
- Make a Melted Snowman Sensory Bag use with your Toddler or Preschooler after reading the story.
- Cook up some delicious 3 ingredient snowball cookies with your kids.
- Make some Snowmen out of Carboard Tubes and Pompom Snowball and use them as a bowling game with your preschoolers.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.