Family meals are a big part of our weekend and although because of the fussiness of the kids sometimes they leave me tearing my hair out I do enjoy it when we find something that the kids enjoy I try and make it a regular Saturday meal. Pasta and sauce with a nice garlic bread. Sharing bread with a meal was a big part of meal times growing up and now that I tend to make my own I decided to give making a share and tear bread a go to go with our meal.
I’ve made bread by hand and I’ve made bread in our bread machine [affiliate link] – although I love kneading the bread by hand – weekends are time poor and I want them to be family time rich so I use the bread machine to knead the dough after just pouring in all the ingredients – take it out when it beeps and then make the butter and add to the top leave to rise and place in the oven for dinner.
I’ve also used the the same basic dough recipe for pizza bases and it is a light and fluffy dough – not a thin crispy base like some doughs produce (and also mine and T’s favourite type of base).
Ingredients for Sun-Dried Tomato and Garlic Share and Tear Bread
For the dough
250g Strong White Bread Flour
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt – grind some in
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon fast-acting yeast
For the butter
Sun-dried tomatoes – around 4 large
1 teaspoon of Sun-dried tomato purée
4 cloves of garlic – less if you don’t like things too garlicky or more if you love garlic
75g Softened Unsalted Butter
Sun-dried Tomato and garlic tear and share bread
Put the dough into the bread machine on your dough setting – check the ingredients to see whether there is a preferred order – mine wants water in first so I use the order above but machines do vary.
When the dough cycle finishes take out onto a lightly floured surface and knead again
Into a lightly greased dish (I use our Pyrex baking dishes [affiliate link] as they look nice coming to the table) place rolled up balls of the dough. On top of these cut up the sun-dried tomato pieces and let it fall in between the balls.
Mix up the butter – place the butter in a bowl, mix it up and get it smooth, crush in the garlic cloves and then add in the sun-dried tomato purée. Mix it all up.
On top of the dough spread the butter and then cover with cling film. Leave to rise until the dough has doubled in size.
Place in a oven at 200C for 30 minutes.
- 150 ml Water
- 250 g strong white bread flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of fast acting yeast.
- For the butter
- 75 g softened butter
- 1 teaspoon sun-dried tomato purée
- 4 cloves of garlic adjust to your taste
- 4 pieces sun-dried tomato
- Into the bread maker add in the dough ingredients in the order for your machine or the order above
- Set the dough cycle
- When dough done knead on a lightly floured surface
- Lightly grease a baking dish
- Roll the dough into small balls and add to the dish
- Mix the butter, sun-dried tomato purée and garlic together
- Cut up the sun-dried tomatoes and add them to the dough
- Spread the butter over the top
- Leave to rise till it has doubled in size
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 200C for 30 minutes