Last week when I shared our Raspberry Cheesecake bars recipe I mentioned about going to the pick your own farm. Well, when we were there as well as the 2kg of Raspberries we also picked up 2kg of strawberries. Some of them that my kids picked were very ripe and they got soft quickly – but you know what that doesn’t mean that you have to waste them. Instead, I’ve got two recipes – this Easy Strawberry Muffin Recipe and also a Strawberry Mousse Recipe that are ideal for using your overripe strawberries in.
I love muffins and I have a go-to recipe that I use for the base of all of my fruit muffins – it’s adapted from one my sister-in-law shared with me that her mother used to bake all the time when she was growing up and makes really moist delicious muffins and it’s relatively easy to make as well.
Love Muffins – try our Blueberry and Lemon Muffin Recipe
This time, it’s a strawberry muffin but come the autumn and our fruit trees are ready I’ll share my apple and cinnamon and pear and ginger versions as well.
Make Summer 2019 AWESOME!
Kids not old enough for summer camp?
Hold your own at home!
Make this summer with your kids awesome!
Ingredients for Strawberry Muffins
145g Light Brown Sugar
3 egg yolks (keep the egg whites for the Strawberry Mousse)
125ml Sunflower Oil
1 Vanilla Bean Pod
1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
180g Plan Flour (all purpose)
240g Self Raising Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of ground cinnamon
200g of chopped strawberries
How to make your Strawberry Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Into a bowl add the sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, vanilla beans and egg yolks
- Mix till they are all combined
- Add in the flour
- Mix until combined – it doesn’t matter if it’s lumpy
- Add the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder. and cinnamon
- Mix well
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin/cupcake papers
- Add in the chopped strawberries to your mix and combine
- Spoon the mixture into each cupcake case
- Place in the oven on the centre shelf for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly golden
These muffins can be frozen (good luck with there being any left!) simply put in a bag of plastic container and place in the freezer, when it comes time to use take out and defrost for 2 – 3 hours then place in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes at 200C to warm up and freshen. Perfect for a warm breakfast muffin that you can make ahead.
Check out these other muffin recipes some great to cook with kids others just perfect to share with kids
- Apple and Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins
- Triple Chocolate Muffins
- Lemon and Blueberry Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- 145 g Light Brown Sugar
- 3 egg yolks keep the egg whites for the Strawberry Mousse
- 250 ml Buttermilk
- 125 ml Sunflower Oil
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 180 g Plan Flour all purpose
- 240 g Self Raising Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- 200 g of chopped strawberries
Preheat the oven to 200C
Into a bowl add the sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, vanilla beans and egg yolks
Mix till they are all combined
Add in the flour
Mix until combined - it doesn't matter if it's lumpy
Add the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder. and cinnamon
Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin/cupcake papers
Add in the chopped strawberries to your mix and combine
Spoon the mixture into each cupcake case
Place in the oven on the centre shelf for 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden
Check out our homemade Strawberry Jam Spologers Recipe with our own Strawberry Jam recipe too