Looking for an easy St Patrick’s Day Craft to do with the kids?
Then these salt dough shamrocks are ideal.
Whether you choose to use them for decorating a seasonal tree or even as a coaster for your St Patrick’s Day Party they are so easy to make.
So here you go Salt Dough Shamrocks to make for St Patrick’s Day.
Crafting with Salt Dough For St Patrick’s Day
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
Salt dough is one of our favourite materials to craft with especially with toddlers and preschoolers.
Like playdough it’s easy to mould, roll and cut but it also dries quicker and harder making it perfect for ornaments and decorations that you want to make for keepsakes or to use time and time again.
We have 2 recipes that we love to use.
One for a traditional salt dough recipe that either dries in the oven in a few hours or air dries in a couple of days.
The other is completely dry in just as few minutes, so if you are looking to do this craft quickly with the kids check out our microwave salt dough recipe.
How to Colour Salt Dough
You can use 3 things to colour salt dough.
This recipe and craft uses food colouring and produces a light colour. A similar effect is produced when you use liquid watercolours.
But a stronger colour can be made if like our white salt dough recipe you use acrylic paints.
How to Make Coloured Salt Dough Shamrock Decorations for St Patrick’s Day
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Tray
- Make a batch of salt dough following the instructions linked above.
- Wearing a pair of plastic gloves so that you don’t cover your hands in green add some food colouring to the dough and knead.
- Continue adding the colouring until you have your desired green colour.
- Roll out the salt dough to around 1/2cm thick.
- Then using the cookie cutter cut out your shamrock decorations.
- Using the skewer piece a hole at the top of the shamrock.
- Then place on a lined baking tray in an oven at your lowest temperature for around 2hours.
- Once dried attach some ribbon. If you have a loop it will work to hang if not then it finishes them off nicely.
More St Patrick’s Day Activities for Kids
- Celebrate St Patrick’s Day with these Party Ideas for Kids
- Upper and Lowercase Shamrock Letter Matching Game
- St Patrick’s Day Rhyme and Shamrock Puppets
- Irish Soda Bread Recipe to Bake with Kids