With St Patrick’s Day coming up it’s time to get a little creative and we have a fun twist on our classic salt dough recipe to make some green salt dough shamrocks to decorate the home with. They are really easy to make and as they are already coloured they can be hung or used to decorate straight after drying. So here we go these easy toddler craft to make some salt dough shamrocks. If you can’t wait for them to oven dry then switch out the classic salt dough for our microwave recipe and follow the step-by-step instructions to have them ready in around 3 minutes.
Materials Needed for your Salt Dough Shamrocks
We have included affiliate links to products and resources we recommend. If you purchase via the link we may earn a small commission.
5-Day Activity Challenge for Kids
READ - PLAY - CREATE - LEARN - HAVE FUN!
Create memories and have fun with your kids!
Join the FREE Spring Activity Challenge
Full of Hands-on activities ideal for Spring!
A batch of Classic Salt Dough Recipe
How to Make your St Patrick’s Day Shamrock Salt Dough Decorations
- Make a batch of salt dough either using the classic salt dough recipe or the microwave salt dough recipe.
- Wearing a pair of plastic gloves so that you don’t cover your hands in green add some food colouring to the dough and knead.
- Continue adding the colouring until you have your desired green colour.
- Roll out the salt dough to around 1/2cm thick.
- Then using the cookie cutter cut out your shamrock decorations.
- Using the skewer piece a hole at the top of the shamrock.
- If using the classic salt dough then place on a lined baking tray in an oven at your lowest temperature for around 3hours. If using the microwave then follow the step-by-step instructions fully.
- Once dried attach some ribbon. If you have a loop it will work to hang if not then it finishes them off nicely.
More St Patrick’s Day Activities for Kids
More St Patrick’s Day Decorations for your Home.
I love adding a little seasonal decor to our home and St Patrick’s Day is no exception after the long winter it’s great to have a little colour, so green and gold really brighten the home up. Check out some of our top picks from our home to your’s this year as well as our selection of DIY St Patrick’s Day Decoration Ideas if you are feeling a little bit crafty.
- I love wooden block decor – in face we made our own for autumn and I have spring currently drying but haven’t had time to make any other seasons or celebrations so this St Patrick’s Day Wooden Block Decor is perfect for adding to your home this year.
- Brighten up your table with a burlap table runner. I love the shamrocks down the centre and it would go great with some green and gold mason jars filled with seasonal flowers.
- One of the quickest ways to add some seasonal decor is to switch over your cushion covers and these St Patrick’s Day Covers look great but may not be to your taste so check out the different types and sizes of pillow covers you could decorate your home with.
Pin this Salt Dough Recipe and St Patrick’s Day Decoration to Make Later
Share this Easy St Patrick’s Day Craft with Others on Facebook