With winter fully upon us, our slow cooker is getting a few more outings that normal. I love being able to throw things in at the beginning of the day and then let it do the hard work for me. This sausage casserole is one of our favourites. With just a few ingredients and using sausages from our local butchers, it’s simple to put in to cook all day and gives us all a real warming family meal at the end of the day. So here we go our family favourite Slow Cooker Sausage with Onions and Peppers Casserole.
Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
We’re trying to have a real mix of different meals during the week this year. As our local butchers is a specialist in sausages and they have so many different varieties we are picking them up once or twice a month and making some delicious dishes.
One of the flavours that we’ve tried from them in the past is the Italian Sausage which we used to make an Italian Sausage Casserole. The kids liked it and asked if we could experiment with some other sausage casseroles for dinner.
This, however, can be made milder with some traditional pork sausages or like we have opted for something with a little kick using spicy sausages.
If you go with traditional pork sausage in the casserole then I would recommend adding in 1/2tsp of mild chilli powder to give a little flavour to the sauce as well and making it absolutely delicious.
Check out after the recipe for some other slow cooker recipes for family dinners that we all enjoy.
Top TiP for Making the Sausage Casserole
Although as the sausages cook for so long they are thoroughly done if you don’t want the skin to split it’s worth giving them a little browning before placing in the crockpot.
I grill them for around 3 minutes on each side to brown the sausages slightly making them less likely to disintegrate in the slow cooker as it cooks all day.
It’s not required though and depending on where you get your sausages from you may find that it’s not even needed.
Slow Cooker Spicy Sausage Casserole with Onions and Peppers
- Slow Cooker
- 1 jar passata
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red flakes
- 1 kg spicy sausage
- 2 green sweet peppers sliced
- 1 large onion sliced
- Combine the tomato sauce, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the sausage in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Top with bell peppers and onions.
- Pour sauce over the top of the sausage and vegetables, making sure the sausages are completely covered.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
More Slow Cooker Recipes Ideas for Families
- Spicy Beef and Broccoli in the Slow Cooker
- Brown Sugar and Garlic Glazed Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker
- Easy Beef Stew