One of my favourite appliances in my kitchen is my slow cooker. I love when the weather starts to turn colder making Stews and Casseroles in it for family meals. I can throw everything in first thing in the morning and then spend just a few minutes preparing some vegetables, crusty bread and server up for dinner. One of our favourite meals to serve is this delicious Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken in the Slow Cooker.
CrockPot Chicken with Brown Sugar and Garlic
However, this recipe is more of a cook and marinade at the same time.
The brown sugar with the soy sauce and garlic form a glaze with the chicken and you can then serve it sliced with rice and some green beans for a delicious crockpot meal that even our fussy eaters enjoy.
Picking Good Chicken for Cooking in the Slow Cooker
I don’t know if you have experienced it as well, but many times when I buy chicken breasts from the supermarket all that happens when I start to cook is that they shrink in size considerably.
They are injected and pumped full of water to make them look good but in fact, they just disappoint when you cook. Especially if you are using a slow cooker. The water comes out and dilutes the sauce that you have added.
Instead, we buy our chicken from the local butchers. It’s sourced locally reducing the carbon footprint of our food as less miles and supporting local business from the chicken farm through to the butchers.
When cooked this chicken stays as is and it isn’t dry at all when cooked. And because it doesn’t lose a tonne of water when cooked it’s also ideal for using in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Garlic Marinaded Chicken Breasts
- Slow Cooker/Crockpot
- Garlic Crusher
- Small Bowl
- 4 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 65 g soft brown sugar
- 117 g tomato ketchup
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame seeds for garnish optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, brown sugar, tomato sauce, soy sauce, dried parsley, and ground ginger.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve the cooked chicken breasts over rice with a side of green beans and topped with toasted sesame seeds (optional)
More Chicken Recipes to Make
Chicken is one of the meats that we know both kids will eat and it’s a good way to get some protein into them. So we cook chicken regularly. Two of our favourites are Whole Breast Chicken Carbonara with pasta and our Cuban Chicken and Smokey Bacon Tray Bake with some salad.