We just love this time of year. The hedgerows are ripe with blackberries and our neighbours tree full of cooking apple. So this year we decided to make our own apple sauce with the kids. This apple recipe for kids using the crockpot is so simple and tastes delicious. So here you go our slow cooker apple sauce to cook with kids.
Slow Cooker Apple Sauce
This recipe for apple sauce is so simple to make. The addition of cinnamon really warms you from the inside.
It does take a while to cook – 4hrs. But that’s 4 hours that you don’t have to do anything with it.
Tips for peeling apples and chopping with kids
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember when I first posted our apple and cinnamon load cake recipe back when my youngest was 3 and she was pictured peeling and chopping the cooking apples I did get some comments.
But, like scissor skills chopping with a knife and using a peeler are important and skills that we should teach them safely and early on.
We spent time looking for a suitable knife to use and although initally bought a pampered chef knife we then switched to a set similar to this one on Amazon. It contains an excellent peeler as well.
So what are our top tips?
- Always supervise whilst using a knife and peeler
- Teach your child to peel away from their non-dominant hand holding the vegetable e.g. if they are right-handed hold the apple in their left hand and peel away from the knuckle
- To flatten the fruit or vegetable to make it easier to cut e.g. half the apple
- And support them by cutting the last few bits where the slices are very small
More Autumn Recipes to Cook with Kids
- Blackberry Sponge Crumble Muffins
- Cinnamon Leaf Cookies
- Apple and Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins
- Apple Pinwheels from Cooking with My Kids
Slow Cooker Apple Sauce Recipe to Cook with Kids
- Slow Cooker
- Vegetable Peeler
- Sharp Knife
- Potato Masher
- Peel and dice the apples and place them in the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Add the lemon juice and toss to coat. Then the water, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt and stir to combine. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for four hours.
- When the apples are cooked through, use a masher to mash the apples until the desired consistency is reached.