We have found a fun way to incorporate fine motor skills and maths. Our Simple Addition With Nuts and Bolts is a hands on maths activity that could be used within a classroom or as an independent activity at home. It is simple to set up and has plenty of scope for extended activities.
Resources needed for Simple Addition With Nuts And Bolts
We have provided affiliate links to Amazon.co.uk in the supply list and below that a shopping list for Amazon.com to ensure you have everything you need to complete the activity.
5-Day Activity Challenge for Kids
READ - PLAY - CREATE - LEARN - HAVE FUN!
Create memories and have fun with your kids!
Join the FREE Spring Activity Challenge
Full of Hands-on activities ideal for Spring!
* Nuts and bolts similar to these on Amazon – I went to Wilco and bought a bag of large assorted nuts, bolts, screws and washers of varying sizes for £2.99. You will need a minimum of 14 nuts.
* Two dice – we like to use our colourful Foam Dice
How to set up Simple Addition With Nuts And Bolts
1. Write the numbers 1-12, the addition symbol and equals symbol onto the nuts using a permanent marker pen. I found it easier to thread the nuts onto the bolt before writing as this kept the nuts still. Remember to write the same number or symbol on all six sides of the nut. I also made one nut with a subtraction symbol to be used at a later date.
2. Allow time for the permanent marker pen to dry.
3. Remove all of the nuts from the bolts and place them on the table along with two dice.
Inspiration for More Hands-on Maths Ideas
We have collaborated on a fantastic book to support your child’s education working on letters, numbers and shape skills including ideas for number sentences and addition problems. ABCs and 123s feature 40+ activities for children aged from preschool upwards and as it is in ebook format it’s the perfect addition to have on hand when you are working together at home or when planning ideas for your classroom.
Find out all the details about this ebook here.
How to play Simple Addition With Nuts And Bolts
1. Roll the two dice. These will be the numbers used in the addition number sentence.
2. Find the matching number nut of the first die and thread it onto the bolt.
3. Locate the addition symbol and thread this onto the bolt.
4. Find the second dice number and equals symbol to add these to the bolt.
5. complete the number sentence by working out the addition and threading the answer at the end of the bolt.
6. Remove the nuts, roll the two dice and start the activity again.
For this activity, I made sure that the bolt was thinner than the nuts. This meant that the nuts slid on easily and could be taken off quickly. If you want more a fine motor challenge or to make the activity last longer then use a thicker bolt.
We are looking forward to extending our nuts and bolts to include the subtraction symbol. In the not too distant future will also be able to use the same resources to create a multiplication activity too.
Pin This Hands-on Mathematics to do Later
Share this Simple Learning Idea with Others on Facebook