If there are just two sweet things I could eat it would be muffins and crumble. I’m not sure during the autumn I could decide which so finding something that combines the two has made me a very happy mum. After growing our own pumpkins this year I knew that these Pumpkin Crumble Muffins would be ideal to make. As last year we discovered Pumpkin Spice as a family and enjoyed trying and testing our favourite Pumpkin Spice Desserts this recipe had a lot to live up to. But it does. Delicious and perfect for autumn baking these Pumpkin Muffins with Crumble topping will go down a hit with your family too.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
One of the things that this recipe calls for is Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix. Now in the UK this isn’t commonly found in the supermarkets yes I can order it online. But I like the ease of finding so after researching online I decided to put together my own pumpkin spice mix together and use that in recipes that call for the spice mix to be used.
We are not a fan of nutmeg so we’ve used less than other recipes and more cinnamon and ginger which my kids love the taste of.
If you are just looking for the Pumpkin Muffins with a Crumble Top then click below to jump straight to the printable recipe card.
Ingredients for making your own Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
We have included links to the ingredients and equipment we use in our kitchen. If you purchase via these links we may earn a small commission.
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 and a 1/2 teaspoons ground clove
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to Make your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice for these Pumpkin Crumble Muffins
Put all of the spices together and mix. Place in a spice jar -> we like these Kilner Spice Jars and use them for our Fajita/Taco spice mix as well <- and mix together well. This mix will store easily through the autumn and is more likely to run out of mix than it is to run out.
Pumpkin Muffins with a Crumble Top
- 220 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 120 ml Vegetable Oil
- 115 g Caster Sugar
- 100 g Light Brown Sugar
- 370 g Pumpkin Puree Cannded
- 2 Large Eggs
- 60 ml Whole Fat Milk
- 70 g Plain Flour
- 55 g Caster Sugar
- 50 g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 85 g Unsalted Butter melted
- Preheat oven to 210C and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until mixed.
- Using a stand mixer, blend together the oil, sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs and milk until thoroughly combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and combine on medium speed.
- Add the batter to the cupcake liners until about 3/4 of the way full.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
- Mix in the melted butter with a fork until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Spoon some crumb topping onto the muffin batter.
- Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, decrease the oven temperature to 160C and continue to bake for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before enjoying!
Shop this Recipe
Although we have very few specialised gadgets and equipment in our kitchen there are a few pieces that we recommend after trying various sorts and settling on these. Below are our picks for making these Pumpkin Pie Muffins with a crumble topping.
More Muffin Recipes to Make
Pin These Delicious Pumpkin Pie Muffins with a Crumb Top to Make Later