We’re kicking off our winter week for our Rainy Day Tots with a simple craft for toddlers and preschoolers. This easy to do activity is ideal for winter days and makes it possible to build your own Snowman no matter the weather outside. So here it is our Potato Print Snowmen Craft for Toddlers and Preschoolers.
Potato Printing Snowmen
Printing and painting are great activities for toddlers and preschoolers and combined with different materials you can turn your pictures you make into a sensory experience as well.
Potatoes and other vegetables make an ideal material to use to print with. They are a great size for little hands to hold and if you follow our top tip over on our Snowmen Thank You Cards Craft you can see how even little hands can manage to print easily with potatoes.
We’ve raided the craft supplies to add some extra’s to our snowmen, but if you didn’t want to you could always use different coloured paints and help your toddler or preschooler to decorate the snowmen themselves.
Essential Craft Supplies for Potato Printing
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
When printing with toddlers and preschoolers instead of using a paint palette I find it much easier to use our sorting dishes. They provide lots of space for the kids to swirl around their potatoes and then can easily be washed and double up for sorting activities too.
Using paint that is washable and ready-mixed is ideal for kids art. I love having a set of different colours available that can just be used and know that even when a mess is made it is easy to clear up as well. These are great value for money and work fine for toddlers and preschoolers.
A stack of coloured paper is essential – this set has some different colours and it’s thick enough that you can paint on but thin enough that kids can use kids scissors to cut easily.
Easy Toddler and Preschool Winter Craft Potato Print Snowmen
- Chopping Board
- Foam/sponge brush
- Sorting Dish
- Chop the potatoes in half making sure that there are different sized potatoes.
- Dab them on the kitchen roll to take away some of the moisture.
- Brush the bottom half of the blue card with white paint for a snowy ground.
- Dip the chopped side of the larger potato into the white paint.
- Press it onto the blue card as the snowman's body.
- Repeat with the smaller potato to create the snowman's head.
- Allow to dry.
- Peel and stick the googly eyes to the snowman's head.
- Dab glue spots on the snowman's body and press on the pom poms as buttons.
- From the orange felt, cut triangles for carrot noses or ovals for orange noses.
- Glue on the noses.
- Draw on a smile with the pen.
- Use the other felt, cut out a semi-circle. Glue it on and glue a pompom on the top for a woolly hat.
- Cut a strip of felt and glue it on for a snuggly scarf.
- Cut and twist the pipe cleaner to create the snowman's arms.
- Glue the arms on with a generous amount of glue.
- Allow everything to dry and then display your potato print snowmen artwork.
More Snowmen Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Why not make a paper scarf for a snowman with our Snowman Scarf Weaving Activity great for your little tots to work on some fine motor skills.
Using our favourite crafting material salt dough create some salt dough Snowmen. An easy winter craft for tots.
You can find even more Snowmen Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers here we’ve got crafts, recipes and learning activities too!
Read And Craft – Snowmen & Winter Books for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Check out our favourite winter and snowmen books for toddlers and preschoolers below great for our week of activities for your tots.