With the weather finally warming up here in the UK (although I am still holding onto our winter duvet’s as it still is mighty cold at night) we are thinking about picnics and days out in the summer. But with the weather as temperamental as it is in the UK often the arrangements are made at the last minute. So quick and easy picnic food to take with you is essential. This quick and easy Italian Tart was so quick to make and taste delicious hot or cold so ideal Picnic Food.
I love pastry and I have a super simple recipe for short crust pastry which is so good for kids to make – but puff pastry I’ve never even attempted so instead I buy the ready rolled sheets. Do you know they do a low-fat version of them as well? Which taste just as nice but is much healthier so great for if you are getting fit and healthy this Spring.
5-Day Activity Camp for Kids
READ - PLAY - CREATE - LEARN - HAVE FUN!
Make a week of spring come alive create memories and have fun with your kids!
Join us for our FREE Spring Camp hosted by The Virtual Book Club for Kids team
Featuring hands-on activities designed especially for mixed ages of kids.
Ingredients for Picnic Food – Italian Tarts
1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
1 or 2 large Beef Tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 ball of mozzarella cheese
a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to season
Step by Step to make Italian Tarts
- Preheat an oven to 180C
- Lightly grease a baking tray that will hold the puff pastry sheet.
- Place the puff pastry sheet in the tray – fold up the edges
- Drizzle with a little olive oil
- Cut up the tomatoes into slices and lay out on the puff pastry sheet
- Crush some garlic and sprinkle over the top of the tomatoes
- Slice or pull apart the mozzarella and place on top
- Put in the oven for 25 – 35 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- Serve with salad’s hot or cold.