It’s been so nice having the kids at home over the holiday season it’s meant that we have had a lot of time together and as normal some of that has been spent in the kitchen playing around with recipes. One of our favourite recipes we’ve cooked together I had to share with you is our Bite-sized dessert Apple Pie Cups to cook with kids. These were so easy to make and taste delicious I’ve decided that as they are so quick and “bite-sized” that they can also be one of our go-to Rainy Day Desserts when we need some sweet treats for everyone.
Bite-Sized Desserts Mini Apple Pies
We’ve decided to top ours with one of my kids favourite additions to all desserts at the moment – SQUIRTY CREAM!
But you could top these mini pies with ice-cream or even whipped cream.
I love how simple these are to make not only are they quick for desserts they also make a really simple party dessert which we ended up bringing to a New Year’s Eve Party with our friends this year.
A word of warning you do need to grease the muffin tins – I like to use a sunflower oil as it doesn’t have a taste but you can use butter or margarine as well. I haven’t tried it with cake release spray so can’t comment on whether that would work well or not.
In this recipe I’ve used Wonton Wrappers – they are found in the World Food Ailse in our local Tesco.
However, we also tried with Filo Pastry – but if you do use Filo you need to use multiple layers otherwise they won’t hold the apple pie filling.
I like making my own Apple Pie Filing it’s really easy – you can find the recipe over on our Apple Pie Topped Cupcakes however a can of filing will work just as well and makes these bite-sized desserts even easier to make.
Bite-Sized Apple Pies
- 1 packet Wonton wrappers can switch for filo pastry just use multiple sheets
- 1 batch Apple Pie filling see link above for the recipe for the apple pie filling or use a can instead
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Grease the inside of a muffin tin using the sunflower oil.
- Press one wonton wrapper into the bottom of each hole in the muffin tin.
- Brush each of the wonton wrappers with a light coating of the oil.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over each wonton wrapper in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place a heaped spoon of the apple pie filling into each pie case.
- Then bake for 5 more minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little and top with either squirty cream or whipped cream or ice-cream.
More Apple Recipes to Bake
Our Delicious Apple Crumble is ideal for Rainy Day Desserts and best made with cooking apples.
Use the same apple pie filling and make these Apple Pie Cupcakes – they taste delicious and perfect for using up apples.
These apple and cinnamon breakfast muffins can be frozen and reheated just in time for breakfast. We have to make double the recipe as EVERYONE loves them just so that we have enough to freeze.