As we started to prepare for June’s Virtual Book Club for Kids book the Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister where we will be sharing a cooking activity for the book, we decided just a little craft, ideal to either match with the book or just because it’s summer and we will be heading to the beach. So using our quickest ever salt dough recipe we mixed up a batch and created this sparkly, pretty little salt dough rainbow fish.
5-Day Activity Camp for Kids
READ - PLAY - CREATE - LEARN - HAVE FUN!
Make a week of spring come alive create memories and have fun with your kids!
Join us for our FREE Spring Camp hosted by The Virtual Book Club for Kids team
Featuring hands-on activities designed especially for mixed ages of kids.
Materials needed for Microwave Salt Dough Rainbow Fish
Salt Dough Recipe – Find the ingredients here.
Never Miss Out on a Kids Craft Again
SALT DOUGH RECIPE CARDS
Sign up and get BOTH our classic and microwave salt dough recipe cards FREE
Acrylic Paints – Pearlised and Plain
How to make Microwave Salt Dough Rainbow Fish
- Mix up the salt dough together 1 cup of plain flour, 1/2 cup of table salt and 1/2 cup of water.
- Knead the dough until it is nicely formed it is a little sticky but that is normal.
- Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to cut the fish shape.
- Place a paper towel on your microwave plate and the fish onto the paper towel.
- Set the microwave on high and zap for 10 seconds.
- Turn the fish over.
- Zap for a further 10 seconds.
- Turn and repeat until the fish are dry.
- It took us around 18 times of zapping for 10 seconds and turning for them to dry out.
- PLEASE DO NOT ZAP ALL AT ONCE EACH MICROWAVE IS DIFFERENT SO TAKE IT 10 SECONDS AT A TIME.
- Leave to cool.
- Set up some paints – we tried plain acrylics first they produce a really bright colour on the fish but for those that have read Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister the Rainbow Fish at the start is a beautiful sparkly fish.
- Pearlised acrylics are fantastic they have a shimmer and shine to them plus paler colours and really catch the sun so we painted another two fish with these.
- Once the paint is dry paint with some PVA glue.
- Sprinkle with glitter.
- Shake off and leave to dry.