We absolutely love muffins - I prefer the homemade variety that aren't as sweet as those from the coffee shop and the kids love both. But finding the perfect recipe can be a challenge. Last year I discovered the amazing combination that is Blueberries and Lemons and we've been invited by Flora to share a delicious Blueberry and Lemon Muffin recipe from their site. You can find many other recipes over on the Flora site so head on over and discover the amazing meals, puddings and cakes that you can create.
Ingredients for Lemon and Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- 115 g (4oz) Flora Buttery
- 115 g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml (¼ pt) milk
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 300 g (11oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 g blueberries - fresh or frozen
Looking for more delicious Lemon Recipes then try some of our Best Lemon Recipes for Summer Treats
Cooking with Kids - Lemon and Blueberry Muffin Recipe
The kids love baking and helping out it's also a great way to get them trying new food and ingredients so we've been cooking our way through the alphabet and teaching them new methods in the kitchen.
The kids always help weight out ingredients, having a recipe that is in g and oz means that we can swap between the two (not going to work on a delicate recipe but works great for muffins and most cakes!) - so that my youngest can read the number up to 20 and the oldest number in the hundred's.
Measuring out the ingredients the kids then creamed together the flora buttery and the caster sugar, cracked in the eggs and then zested the lemon.
Once the zest was added they squeezed the lemon
Then added the lemon juice into the liquid mix.
To the mixture they added the flour and baking powder and mixed it together. Muffins are a great cake to make with kids as the mixture can be lumpy and it doesn't affect how great they taste at the end.
They then measured out the blueberries and added them to the mixture as well.
Mixing them all together they stirred in the blueberries making sure that they were evenly put throughout the muffin mix.
Then they spread them out between the cases.
We then put them into the oven preheated to gas mark 3, 170°C/150°C fan/325°F for 30 (ish) minutes. Until they were fully risen and golden on top.
Check out these other muffin recipes some great to cook with kids others just perfect to share with kids
- Apple and Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins
- Triple Chocolate Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/170°C/150°C fan/325°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the Flora Buttery and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Mix in the milk, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir until just combined – don’t worry too much about lumps!
- Finally – throw in the blueberry and stir to distribute in the mix.
- Divide the mix among 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin (and sprinkle some Demerara on top if you wish).
- Bake in a preheated oven at gas mark 3, 170°C/150°C fan/325°F for 30 minutes.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Flora