Without a doubt, we will have some leftover Turkey this Christmas. We love cooking and eating it but as we shop locally and the smallest size is enough for 8 – 10 adults and we are just 4 there is bound to be more than enough. That means between Christmas and New Year we get inventive with Turkey and come up with a few different family meal ideas to make. This Simple and Easy Turkey and Stuffing Casserole Recipe was a real hit last year with everyone so I thought I’d share it with you.
Leftover Christmas Turkey Casserole
Once Christmas dinner is over, our cooked Christmas turkey is cooled, we cover it with foil and put it into the fridge.
Then it gets brought out every day till it’s gone for sandwiches and dinner.
From a simple cold meat salad to more complex recipes we try and make it that we aren’t eating the same food every time but that we make the most of the bird.
This casserole recipe is quick to make and then can be baked in the oven for 30 minutes for dinner. It’s really warming and if we’ve eaten all of the stuffing I can just use a box of it to add instead.
Our favourite stuffing is a sage and onion sausagemeat stuffing and although we have been known to make it ourself we’re just as likely to have a box of Paxo ready to use for dinner.
Turkey And Stuffing Casserole Recipe
This recipe makes enough for 8 so we can heat up some the following day or make when the in-laws or my parents come and visit after Christmas as well.
The gravy is really simple to make and one that you can easily make with either chicken or turkey stock.
We use frozen green beans in the recipe but tinned or even fresh would work as well.
Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole Recipe
- Casserole Dish
- Sauce Pan
- Large bowl
- Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a casserole dish by greasing it.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When butter is melted, add the flour and whisk.
- Heat until mixture is brown and bubbly.
- Add the chicken stock and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing, turkey, and the frozen green beans.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with gravy mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the stuffing has browned and the gravy is bubbling.
Great Christmas Desserts to Try With this Turkey Leftovers Recipe
- An Eggnog and Cranberry Bread and Butter Pudding goes great with this and it’s easy to cook alongside it in the oven.
- Of course, mince pies always go a treat for Christmas and our Mince Pie Stacks made with puff pastry are great warmed up and served with brandy butter or custard.