We love space-themed activities and crafts here on Rainy Day Mum it’s been one of our favourite themes since the kids were little. They’ve been fascinated by all things out of space and out of this world. So this simple junk model craft lets them get creative and then use their imagination to play moon landings and more. So here we go a simple Astronaut Helmet space craft for kids to make and play.
Recycled Box Craft Space Man Helmet for Kids to Make
We have linked to products that we recommend for this activity. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
This was such a simple craft to do and needed very few materials to make once the glue was dry though it provided hours of fun heading off into space and to the moon.
We combined it with some of our favourite space books which we read before and after we’d made the helmet to give some ideas of what space may be like for the astronauts that head off into the deepest darkest reaches of space.
How to Make a Junk Model Space Helmet with Kids
Watch our video below and then follow the instructions to create your own.
Junk Model Space Helmet Craft for Kids
- Scissors or Craft Knife
- Glue spreader or paintbrush
- Container to hold the glue in
- PVA Glue White School Glue e.g. Elmers
- Coloured Paper
- Cardboard Box large enough to fit over your child's head
- On the front of the cardboard box cut a large hole for the visor of the helmet.
- Tear off strips of foil and fold over the edges so that you remove the sharp edges for your child.
How to make the Space Helmet with Your Child
- Start by covering one of the sides with glue.
- Now apply the foil to the glue and press down to secure in place.
- Repeat on the other 3 solid sides so that only the front is box-like.
- On the front help your child to glue the foil around the visor space. You may want to glue the sharp edges to the inside of the box folded over so that your child doesn't catch themselves when they place the box on their head.
- Now it's time to add the details. You can let your child's imagination flow what do they think should be on the helmet.
- Leave for a little while to dry. Then play!
More Space Crafts for Kids
Why not create your own Mars Rover Toy and explore the red planet with our simple how-to including how to make your own mars sand.
Another fun and simple junk model craft for kids to create a soda bottle Space Rocket.
Why not print out and use our Toddler and Preschool FREE Printable Space Themed Count and Clip Cards to carry on the theme.
Space Themed Activity Mini-Pack for Kids
Are you looking for even more space activities to do with your toddlers and preschoolers?
Then check out our Space Themed Mini-Pack from our Virtual Book Club for Kids.
This simple kids craft to create an Astronaut Helmet is one of the activities inside the book that you and the kids can do at home together. Just take a look below at the selection of activities that we have included.
You can purchase the pack for just $3.99 and download, print and use with your toddlers and preschoolers for a fun space-themed week of activities to do at home with your kids.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.