Halloween is such a fun time for toddlers. Picking out a costume for them to wear, decorating, and pretending can bring so much joy. It can also be a little scary, especially if they do not know what to expect. Get them ready by reading them some Halloween books and introducing them to a not so scary Halloween of fun so that they are happy and prepared for Halloween.
Books To Read At Halloween With Toddlers
We’ve put together our favourite books highlighting those that are best and if we have a craft or activity that we have done with our toddlers we’ve included that as well.
So dig out your Halloween Costumes, light the Jack ‘o’ lantern and snuggle up to read these Halloween Themed books for kids from toddler upwards.
Five Little Pumpkins
We have included links to some of the products and resources we have used with this activity. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
Perfect Halloween reading with your tots is the board book Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino. This version stays true to the rhyme and as a counting book your toddlers will love to follow along as the pumpkins disappear from the gate.
5 SANITY-Saving Play Materials You Can Make at Home
Get these recipes for saving your sanity when you have toddlers and preschoolers.
Save time, money and have fun with your tots
Using a set of Pumpkin Stickers you can go about creating your own 5 Little Pumpkin Book. Our daughter loved making this and preferred it in the end to reading it over the original.
ONE, TWO, BOO!
Count your way up to a spooky haunted house in One, Two, Boo! by Kristen L. Depken.
The front cover has a cutout of a ghost and throughout the book your little ones can lift the flaps as they meet a variety of Halloween characters.
THE SPOOKY WHEELS ON THE BUS
The wheels on the bus, the song is a favourite in our house. So this Halloween Version of the classic rhyme is ideal to read and sing along with just before we head out trick or treating with the kids. Check it out The Spooky Wheels on the Bus by J Elizabeth Mills.
THE VERY BUSY SPIDER
Although this isn’t technically a Halloween book, it is one that we find ourselves reading at Halloween. The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle is all about a spider spinning his web and as so many Halloween decorations feature spiders it’s one that the kids love reading.
The Little Old Lady Who Was not Afraid of Anything!
Another classic rhyme with a Halloween Twist. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid Of Anything! by Linda Williams is really fun to read aloud.
Room on the Broom
We love Julia Donaldson books and Room on the Broom is the one we reach for every Halloween. With fantastic pictures and fun rhymes, it’s a great read-aloud and one that will last. My older kids liked it through to school age and will still sit and watch the movie.
Watch our EASY Halloween Craft for KIDS Video
Check out this simple Halloween Craft for Toddlers in the video below that you can make before you and they snuggle down and read one of these not so spooky Halloween Books together.
Even though we have our favourites we do like to add a few more books to our book basket each week in the lead up to Halloween.
Check out our pick of the other books we have shared with our toddlers below. Each of the images will take you to Amazon as well as the links.
- SPOOKY POOKIE – What will Pookie dress up as for Halloween this year? You have to read the book to find out!
- THE ITSY BITSY PUMPKIN – Here is another song my kids love. This one has some Halloween flare which will make your toddler giggle.
- MICKEY’S HALLOWEEN – What toddler doesn’t love Mickey? This lift the flap book is full of cute characters and isn’t scary in the least.
- 10 TRICK OR TREATERS – Count the trick or treaters in this adorable Halloween book for toddlers.
- PEEK-A-BOO – This book brings peek-a-boo to life. Try and guess who is hiding before they exclaim peek-a-boo!
- PUMPKIN PATCH PARTY – Party with the Sesame Street characters in the pumpkin patch! Take a look at who’s hiding behind the pumpkins!
- I LOVE YOU LITTLE PUMPKIN – There are lots of things to do in this book, and even a mirror to show your toddler that you love them.
- BISCUIT VISITS THE PUMPKIN PATCH – Discover what biscuit finds when he visits the pumpkin patch.
- HAPPY HALLOWEEN, DANIEL TIGER! – This is a cute book about Daniel Tiger and his wonderful imagination.
- LITTLE CAT – This Halloween toddler book comes with a black cat finger puppet. Little cat gets spooked by a friend dressed up in a costume, but she also gets to have a Halloween treat. You can also pick up the Little Spider Finger Puppet Book too.
- WHO’S THERE ON HALLOWEEN? Follow the clues to find out what Halloween character is hiding from you!
- HALLOWEEN BUGS – This fun and the colorful pop-up book is one of my favourites! I hope it becomes one of yours too.
- WHO’S THERE, LITTLE HOO? – Little Hoo gets scared when someone knocks on the door. Find out who’s there when you read the book!
- WICKLE WOO HAS A HALLOWEEN PARTY – Keep your toddler busy with this book and all of the interactive flaps as well as all of the characters to name.
More Halloween Fun for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Check out our Halloween Crafts and Activities for Toddlers for some not so scary Halloween fun!
Why not sing some of our silly Halloween songs with your toddler in the lead up to the big day.
More Books & Movies for Halloween For Families
Snuggle up on the sofa and watch these Non-Scary Halloween Movies with the kids or if they are a little older and love the scary stuff then check out this list of Scary Movies for Halloween to Watch with the Kids.