Are you looking for a tasty dessert or treat to cook with the kids for the 4th of July? Or just a really simple idea to make yourself? Then this 4th of July dessert is ideal. With red, “white” and blue fruit as well as some delicious semi-homemade cinnamon tortilla chips it’s easy to throw together and perfect for sharing with your friends and family. The kids will also love to make it themselves. So here you go our easy 4th of July dessert to cook with and for kids.
4th of July Fruit Salad
One of the best things to eat on a hot summers day for dessert is a fruit salad and this simple to throw together dessert is great for your Independence day picnic.
We love to head out and pick our own blueberries and strawberries for this and then the kids get to chop them up and get them ready. We can even make it ahead and store in the fridge to take with us to friends as we celebrate.
FREE 4th of July Bingo Game for Kids
Subscribe to Rainy Day Mum today and receive a bonus gift from us of a fun Bingo game for the 4th of July.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
We love making homemade tortilla chips and these cinnamon sugar ones in star shapes are so simple.
We use a spray bottle (this is the one we have) which is filled with cooking oil and then spray on before toasting in the oven first before coating in our the cinnamon sugar to make them sweet and delicious to go with the fruit salad.
My kids love adding a little natural yoghurt in a dip bowl to this and will dip their tortilla into the yoghurt and then scoop up some fruit to eat.
4th of July Printable Games and Activities for Kids only $5
A printable activity set of fun and games for kids to celebrate the 4th of July.
4th of July Recipe for Kids
It sounds delicious doesn’t it? I promise you it tastes as good as it sounds and what better way to get this kids eating some fruit than when they make it themselves.
So here you go an easy and simple 4th of July Dessert Recipe for kids to make.
4th of July Fruit Salad with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips to Cook with Kids
Ingredients for the chips:
Ingredients for the Salsa:
- 2 apples chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 pound strawberries diced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 seedless watermelon diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Instructions for Cinnamon Star Tortilla Chips
- Use star cookie cutters to cut out stars from the flour tortillas.
- Place the tortillas on the prepared baking sheet and spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chips are crispy and just beginning to brown.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a zip-top bag and add the baked chips. Toss to coat the chips in sugar mixture and set them aside.
Instructions for Red, White and Blue Fruit Salad
- To make the salsa, add the apples to a bowl and toss with the zest and juice of the lemon.
- Add the strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon to the bowl and season with sugar.
- Toss to combine all the ingredients and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
More 4th of July Recipes, Crafts and Activities for Kids
Looking for even more ideas to do with the kids for the 4th of July, why not check out these simple recipes, easy crafts, and fun activities below.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.