We love making Halloween Treats and although I don’t mind spending a long time over something the kids like things that are quick and easy and have a result really quickly. These Mummy Cookies are made with Oreos and are so easy to make. Both kids got in on it and made them as class treats for Halloween. So here we go Easy Oreo Mummies to make with kids!
Halloween Mummies Oreo Bites
Using store-bought cookies like Oreo’s make this recipe really quick to do. In fact, the longest part is probably waiting for them to cool and harden.
The kids love to make these but along the way we’ve discovered a couple of top tips that have made them so much easier to make.
Tips for Making Decorated Oreo Cookies
We have included affiliate links to some of the products and resources as an associate we may earn from qualifying purchases.
The first tip is that when you use the candy melts they have a perfect time which it states on the packet for melting.
If you melt them too much they actually get thicker!
You can thin out the candy melts – all you need to do is add 2 teaspoons of vegetable shortening (white flora or Trex in the UK) to the mix. Other fats won’t work!
The other tip we have is that if you try and harden the cookies in the fridge they will go soft the same as storing them there. Instead, place in an airtight container in a cool dark place like a kitchen cupboard.
FREE Printable Halloween Games
Subscribe to Rainy Day Mum today and receive a pack of 6 Halloween Games to play
Watch Our Easy Halloween Treats Video for more Halloween Fun!
It should be at the top or to the right hand side.
Now head over to our Halloween Potion Popcorn to get the full recipe and instructions to make them with the kids.
Your Oreo Mummy SHopping List
- Piping Bag
- Waxed paper or silicone parchment paper
- 1 Packet of Oreo Cookies
- White candy-Melts
- Small candy eyeballs
- Melt the candy melts according to pack instructions making sure that you don't overheat. Check out our top tip above for if the candy coating is too thick.
- Resting the Oreo on a fork, spoon the melted candy over the cookie and then tap the fork against the side of your bowl to remove excess.
- Add the candy eyeballs while still wet. Place on waxed paper to dry.
- Repeat with all of the Oreo's.
- Pour the remaining candy into a disposable piping bag. Snip the end of the piping bag and make the bandage wrapping over each of the mummies.
- Allow white candy to harden. If needed, remove any excess from the side with a sharp knife.
More Halloween Treats to COok with Kids
Another one using the chocolate cupcakes and simple to make (my kids had so much fun creating the tree with the chocolate) is our Haunted Tree Halloween Cupcakes.
Looking for an alternative to cupcakes then our Halloween Potion Popcorn Cauldron treats are great fun to make and share with the kids.
Cerys is a marine biologist, environmental educator, teacher, mum, and home educator from the UK. She loves getting creative, whether it is with simple and easy crafts and ideas, activities to make learning fun, or delicious recipes that you and your kids can cook together you'll find them all shared here on Rainy Day Mum.