Halloween is on its way and the kids and I have been baking in the kitchen making some Fun Halloween Food together. These Frankenstein Cupcakes are so easy to make using our classic chocolate cupcake recipe that the kids cooked up a batch last year without any help from me and decorated them themselves.
We have included links to some of the products and resources we have used with this activity. If you purchase via the links we may earn a small commission.
We love making cupcakes and although you could use a chocolate cake mix to make these we really like making the cakes from scratch here as then we know exactly what goes into the mix.
Our chocolate cupcake recipe is SO simple. The kids can follow the printout of the recipe from the bottom and make them themselves I just need to help them get them in and out of the oven.
Once you’ve made a batch of the cupcakes you can then start the kids decorating the cupcakes.
Watch Our Easy Halloween Treats Video for more Halloween Fun!
Now head over to our Halloween Potion Popcorn to get the full recipe and instructions to make them with the kids.
Equipment for Making the Frankenstein Cupcakes
We love easy Halloween cupcake decorating ideas like this (scroll to the bottom as we have a couple of others that the kids and I love having a go at making too).
We also used a silicone piping bag for frosting the cake. I like these over the plastic ones as they are reusable and really easy to wash as well.
For this recipe, I bought a tub of Chocolate Frosting as you don’t need a large quantity and I know that we will use it for other Halloween Treats this year.
We also used writing icing pens for the red instead of making our own up. This was much easier than using red food dye and some plain frosting and the little tubes made it easier to create the scar.
Easy to Decorate Frankenstein Cupcakes
- Rolling Pin
- Cupcake Cases
- Piping Bag
- Writing Icing
- 2 3/4" Round Cookie Cutter
- 12 chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 tub chocolate frosting
- 1 packet green fondant
- large candy eyes
- 1 tube black icing Writing icing is ideal
- 1 tube red icing
- Bake a set of 12 Chocolate Cupcakes according to the recipe instructions.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool.
- Ice each chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting from the tub and set aside.
- Use the rolling pin to roll out the green fondant to about 1/8" thick.
- With the round cookie cutter cut 12 circles for the tops of the cupcakes to make Frankenstein's Face.
- Place the circles on top of the chocolate frosting and press gently.
- With the black writing icing, give the face some hair and a mouth.
- To the back of the large candy eyes, pipe a little bit of chocolate frosting to act as a glue and attach to the face.
- Now switch to the red and make the "scar" on the face of Frankenstein.
- Gently squeeze the red frosting from the bag to make a ‘scar’ on Frankenstein’s face.
- Complete all 12 cupcakes and serve at your next Halloween Party.
More Halloween Cupcakes to Make with and For Kids
We love making holiday treats and have some easy Halloween Cupcakes that your kids will love to make and eat.
One for you to make these pretty little witch cupcakes are a bit fiddly but won’t take you long.
The Haunted Tree is SO simple to make the kids can create these Haunted Tree Cupcakes in no time. Double the batch of the chocolate cupcake for this and make these at the same time.
A really simple recipe that even your little tots can join in making (mine was 2 when we first made these!) Cauldron Cupcakes using our vanilla cupcake recipe. So easy to make and the kids will love the eyeballs and gummy worms.